Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe branching - Geometry

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
eruchirapsl
247 Views, 6 Replies

Pipe branching - Geometry

Hi,

During the geometry modelling of a pipe branch, three conical pipes need to be combined to create the pipe branch. the intersection surfaces inside the branch(as shown in the cutting view) need to be trimmed and the modelled should be combined to form one finite element object. Kindly could anyone assist me with how to perform this using object combinations or any other method? Tried different methods in object combination and failed. model attached

eruchirapsl_0-1711682075181.png

eruchirapsl_1-1711682189497.png

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

hi @eruchirapsl 

you can model it in quarters using a background drawing from geometry imported in dxf or dwg.

The intersection of the cones can be done by straight line segments, certain parts could be compared to arcs.

Stephanekapetanovic_1-1711688578850.png Stephanekapetanovic_2-1711690075156.png

You will also find here the means of cutting the arcs of a panel into several arcs of the same center and radius.

Best Regards

Tags (2)
Message 3 of 7

Thanks. By the way is there anyway of creating the model in Robot program itself?

Message 4 of 7

hi @eruchirapsl 

Yes surely. you can create lines or members. you can rotate them around an axis. for panels you can create them by selecting the contour points. Don't forget to adjust your units to ensure you stay within modeling tolerances.

Best Regards

See Also : Geometry Manipulation

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 7

Thanks. Yes. I did it in the same way(refer to my figure) by revolving polylines of three cones around three axes. But the challenge is trimming the FE surfaces which fall inside the pipe branch as indicated. In other words, the curve of intercept was the challenge. Anyway of using a boolean operation to do this?

Message 6 of 7

Thanks. Yes. I did it in the same way(refer to my figure) by revolving polylines of three cones around three axes. But the challenge is trimming the FE surfaces which fall inside the pipe branch as indicated. In other words, the curve of intercept was the challenge. Anyway of using a boolean operation to do this?

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 7

I'm uncertain whether a Boolean operation on surfaces generated by revolution can provide an accurate solution in this scenario. While modeling point to point may be tedious, it's not overly time-consuming. If you frequently encounter tasks like this, investing in an in-house program might be worthwhile.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report