Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No convergence of nonlinear analysis for portal frame

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Gabriela.Bercot
356 Views, 9 Replies

No convergence of nonlinear analysis for portal frame

Hi,

I've been working on the model of a portal frame, and I had set up my bracings as tension-compression members, so it's being calculated as a nonlinear analysis. I am coming across 'no convergence issues'. I tried a few things as outlined on this page but without success ("No convergence of nonlinear problem" during analysis in Robot Structural Analysis (autodesk.com)

Could someone help me to sort this issue please?

Labels (4)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

HI @Gabriela.Bercot 

I have verified your model and have the following remarks.

- you have used compressed only members for bracings - used sectiopn types (angles) suggest that your intention was using tension only members for bracings (correct me if I have missed your idea). I would change bracings to tension only members.

Krzysztof_Wasik_2-1700582971953.png

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1700582693151.png

-you are using default setting/parameters for nonlinear load cases. I would suggest activation Matrix update after each iteration setting as described in Non convergence.......-article

Krzysztof_Wasik_1-1700582845732.png

For bracings changed to tension only members and modified parameters of nonlinear cases  model converges for all load cases.

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 3 of 10

Hi @Krzysztof_Wasik 

Thanks for your reply. My mistake, I thought I had set them up as a tension bars.

Related to the parameters for the analysis, I added automatic calculations (manual calculations - generated) and I am getting the same convergence error. My question is, can I set up the parameters for nonlinear combinations as well? It would this interfere with the results?

Message 4 of 10

Hi @Gabriela.Bercot 

You can set calculation parameters for arbitrary load case/combination number. Type all for all load cases in Case list

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1700584625144.png

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 5 of 10

@Krzysztof_Wasik I had this settings as advised. I am having really high values for the bending moments in most of the combinations, not too sure why.

GabrielaBercot_0-1700585277525.png

Message 6 of 10

HI @Gabriela.Bercot 

In my opinion there are too many releases defined in the model. 

Verify displacements - especially for wind loads - they are unrealistic

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1700602134388.png

• remove not necessary releases
  • add supports if necessary
  • if necessary add additional members for stucture stabilization

for instance when supports for UY are defined in nodes 380 and 381 moments drops down

Krzysztof_Wasik_1-1700602383774.png

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 7 of 10
Simau
in reply to: Gabriela.Bercot

@Gabriela.Bercot 

Try pinned supports in the right side in place of rollers

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis-forum/portal-frame-wrong-moments-values/td-...

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

Hi @Krzysztof_Wasik 

Yes, definitely there's some issues with the releases on these members. The problem is, I can't add supports where you suggested, this structure will be on top of rails to move north-south and will be lifted to ships when needed. I divided the column on the door frame in 3 parts, the beams below (marked in yellow) need to work as a cantilevers.

GabrielaBercot_2-1700648303089.png

I have set up the releases like this and I still have higher displacements.

GabrielaBercot_3-1700648899090.png

GabrielaBercot_0-1700648061802.png

I attached the model, it is a bit hard to see on the snip.

Message 9 of 10

Hi @Gabriela.Bercot 

Set members  31 32 45 47  as truss members (tension +compression)

Krzysztof_Wasik_0-1700657112987.png

This will reduce displacements.

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 10 of 10

Hi @Krzysztof_Wasik 

Thanks for that, it worked!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report