Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gridshell model

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
david_ventura9
4302 Views, 28 Replies

Gridshell model

Hello!

I would like to ask for some help with my model. I’m working on a gridshell structure and I’m having some troubles rotating the bars in a way that it follows the inherent surface. The problem is that the rotation angles varies in length so if I rotate the whole lath that will not work… and I have almost 2000 little bars, it is crazy to rotate one by one… I’ve tried everything without success.

I attach a pic from the model in Rhino, with laths following the surface, and the robot model;  As you can see, I already rotated some of the bars manually.

I hope I was clear with my question J

I want to thank you in advance!

Best regards,

David

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Very hard to do it because the continuous beams are not even in a same plane. They are 3D.

And you´ll have an additional problem . The beams don´t cross each other at the same coordinate. There´s always  a 5cm offset between them. If you mantain this geometry you´ll have to set some rigid links between these 2 "crossing" nodes.

How did you import this model from Rhino??

Maybe some of the file types that Robot can open are better suited for this import.Check if Rhino can export to one of these file types.

file types.jpg

SSDNF files keep the original gamma angle . Even if robot doesn´t recognize the Rhino section  , you can assign it later. The important thing is getting the correct gamma angle as you open the imported file in robot.

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 29

Thank you so much for your quick response!

I saved rhino model in a DWG file and then I assigned the section in Robot.

I was checking Rhino "Save as..." options and I could find the SSDNF file type. That would be great if I could keep gamma angle, the problem would be solved! Do you know if there is another file type which would be equivalent?

Message 4 of 29

The problem is that the rotation angles varies in length so if I rotate the whole lath that will not work… and I have almost 2000 little bars, it is crazy to rotate one by one… I’ve tried everything without success.

create node in the "dome center" \ "center" then Geometry \ Properties \ Gamma Angle -> Node and use this node number as a reference

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 29

Maybe .SAT file  or CIS/2 format(.stp). Check the file formats that Robot can open on the picture I sent on the previous post!!!

This is what is supported by Rhinoceros

Rhino file types.jpg

Or a triangular operation using Revit , or SketchUP .

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 29

Thank you so much for your suggestion Rafal.Gaweda!

When you say dome center do you mean the center point in the surface or taking the dome as a solid object and then the gravity center?

thanks!

Message 7 of 29

In the last post, I forgot to tell you that I've tried all of the suported files in Robot... The best one is SAT. file, but still have the same problem.

Message 8 of 29

When you say dome center do you mean the center point 

domecen.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 29
Rafacascudo
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafal ,

I don´t think it is a sphere

planes.jpg

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 10 of 29
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Rafacascudo

I don´t think it is a sphere

It does not matter sphere or elipsoid for my idea

It does matter that "beams" are wavy ; each meridian and parallel is not made in plane.

Good luck 

Rafal Gaweda
Message 11 of 29
Rafacascudo
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafal ,

By the picture he sent on the 1st post , it seems that the beams are supposed to have one local axis perpendicular to the shell surface.

This gamma angle "node" solution " seems " to work for the higher " arches" but the below picture shows that it does not.

local axes to a node.jpg

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 12 of 29

Rafacascudo,

When I initally applied Rafa.Gaweda solution I had the same problem, but then I understood why... As you can see in the pic I send, the original surface that generated this structure it is different. I used the center point of that big ellipsoid, applied gamma angle and then I just rotated 90º and now it's working!!! 🙂 there are some little errors but not relevant!

Thank you so much for your help Rafacascudo and Rafa.Gaweda!!

Best regards 😉

David

Message 13 of 29

I forgot the picture!

Message 14 of 29

David ,

The geometrical center of the big elipsoid as reference node for gamma angle  will never give you the exact solution.

If your elipsoid approaches a sphere , it will " seem" that the bars orientations are correct.

It is clear by the picture below , that the shell surface will be perpendicular to the elipsoid center only at 0 , 90, 180 and 270 degrees

elipsoid.jpg

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 15 of 29

Rafacusdo,

I understand it now!! you're right... thats why I see some little errors! In this case it might be not relevant, but if I need to change the surface it can be important.

I was trying to understand by the image you sent me if there is other option...Any idea?

Thank you a lot,

David

Message 16 of 29

I think the solutions within robot will be also aproximations. Best option ,in my opinion ,would still be getting the bars correct gamma angles through the imported file.

I see by the name of your Robot file , does it comes from SCIA enginneer software??If yes , can it export to one of the formats that Robot can open?

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 17 of 29

From what I can see now, central point it is not the solution at all... 

Scia appears in the file name because after struggling so much with this problem in robot I tried Scia engineer but the problem is exactly the same...The original file was the same, it is a DWG file exported from Rhino... so forget the name, it might induce in error.

I'm gonna try to check more about importing files keeping the same gamma angle... 

Thank you a lot Rafacascudo!

David

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: david_ventura9

Hi,

I advice you to use grasshopper to solve your problem.

Here attached is a little definition which might help you.

Algo.JPG

First check on GHX that your angle are correct using SDL line.

FAV_RSA.JPG

Second copy/paste, or use API GHX/RSA to inform the angle in the bar tab,

Then chack visually on preview.

JPO_JPO.JPG

It should work fine. Tell me if you have any difficulty.

Once you've done it, there is another issue, getting the displacemnts into the local coordinates.

Here below an study cas on Bordeaux's Cité du Vin.

Global gamma orientation

CCV_XYZ.JPG

Local Global orientation

CCV_XYZ_ZOOM.JPG

Here another definition, maybe RSA could integrate it in RSA 2018 ?

CCV_RSA_UXUYUZ_uxuyuz.JPG 

Message 19 of 29
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Bordeaux's Cité du Vin

Artur Kosakowski
Message 20 of 29

Awesome!!!
Done in Robot??

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report