Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam / slab interaction

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
mathias_peron
8688 Views, 23 Replies

Beam / slab interaction

Hi everyone, I'm running an experiment to understand what's the best way to model the beam-slab interaction.

I've read very interesting topics on the forum that partly answered my questions. But I still need enlightening.

A - RC SLAB / RC BEAM

As adviced in the Autodesk university HAndout, a good method to model a beam supporting a slab is to increase its moment of inertia to make it match the corresponding T-beam inertia (see bellow).

1.png

However, I'm not totaly conviced because:

1- It is geometrically incorrect. The position of the axis of the beam doesn't match the slab

-> leads to incorrect stiffness

2- There is overlapping of concrete

-> overestimation of stiffness.

My question is: Wouldn't it be more accurate to increase the moment of inertiaof the beam to match a corresponding rectangular beam bellow the slab (new inertia = (bh^3/12)+(bh)d²) ? In doing so, we can still choose to design the beam as a rectangular or a T, and with a correct geometry (see bellow).

2.png

B - RC SLAB / STEEL BEAM

I tried to use the rigid links to model the interaction between a concrete slab supported on the flange of steel I beams. I couldn't understand why the moment in the beams is so low. Can someone explain me?

3.png4.png5.png

Have a nice day,

Mathias.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous

The point is to increase it IY by the factor of IY for T shape for middle or L shape for edge beams / IY rectangular shape rather than just any e.g. 2 for all beams regardless of their shapes and sizes.

Check the model I attached to my previous post.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Dear Artur
I can't find the model.
Can you please sent it to me through my email: vntibaziyaremye@gmail.com
Message 23 of 24
Romanich
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

You may find this topic also useful:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis-forum/api-macro-creation-of-quasi-t-amp-l-rc-beams/td-p/5485265

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Roman Zhelezniak

Robot Evangelist & Passionate Civil Structural Engineer

LinkedIn | Robot & Хобот | App Store for Robot
EESignature

Message 24 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hello Mr. @Artur.Kosakowski 

when I'm increasing the Iy of beam it wouldn't be equal when I'm expressing the As with equivalent Ac using n and not expressing the place of the analysis axis of beam & when I want to analysis for a cracked section shouldn't the value off I(inertia) be reduced by reduction factor.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report