Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type and way of creating Structure connection for custom Structure Family (Beam, column)

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Ar_vxv
710 Views, 10 Replies

Type and way of creating Structure connection for custom Structure Family (Beam, column)

As title. I'm trying how to create connection structure for building structures.
In my company's template file.
1-All structure families are unsupported Shape in Revit (Taped,Combine...).
2- There is not enough information to know how to creat that connection structure. Is it created from a 3rd party software (Tekla, Advance Steel...)!?
Thanks for any guidance or explaination.

Structure Connection Type Confirm.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jay_colcombe
in reply to: Ar_vxv

Opening the model up it is almost impossible to determine where this came from it looks a little like an IFC export into Revit but again impossible to determine so i would highly suggest it was not done in Revit directly.

jay_colcombe_0-1694077931462.png

The steel section references are not familiar with standard Revit Section Library Families but you can select them and get the dimensions and create your own custom section based of this but delving further it may get more complex. 

As regards the connections you could review the Revit Library for predetermining the connections at hand and then all ways use Custom elements where required.  Or if needed simply use the Steel Tab Tools to create them all from scratch.

jay_colcombe_1-1694078674173.pngjay_colcombe_2-1694078907889.png

If these frames are what you do, really this would be better achieved in Advanced Steel as there is more flexibility and range of tools available and if you are manufacturing the frames creating manufacturing drawings and integration with CNC machining and automation for fabrication is achievable directly from Advanced Steel, alternatively the team behind Advance Steel have a Revit Addin for connection and may be work a look or a chat with them to see what is best for your needs.

Steel Connections | GRAITEC

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 11
Ar_vxv
in reply to: jay_colcombe

Thanks for the useful information.
I'm working in Japan, where there is a lot of software that creates Structural frame connections. Perhaps one of them created this element.
Message 4 of 11
ChandanSutradhar

It might be done in Advance Steel or Tekla which has IFC format right now, for better connection and fabrication model creation , you shall follow either Advance Steel or Tekla product based on your budget and size of project.

Message 5 of 11
Ar_vxv
in reply to: ChandanSutradhar

Hi!
I have a question about how this is done in Advance Steel. Can it be automatically created in the same connection form as Revit (Beam to beam, Beam to column...). As I see it, each detail must be created manually.
Thanks
Message 6 of 11
jay_colcombe

In Advanced Steel you can build the connections exactly how you need them and apply to the locations and the software automatically to create the connections around the beam and columns and edit the elements to accommodate the connection(cuts/welds /notches) there are lots of standard connections to chose from as a base start point.

https://youtu.be/Y4ohkqSG3-M?si=Lk6Rb7RPvKytVy9I

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
This video is showing how the Quick Connection tool automatically apply steel connections at each location based on a set of rules.
Message 7 of 11
ChandanSutradhar

Thank you for your query. Advance Steel has a detailed library of connections like Tekla Structure, like column to column, Beam to Column, Beam to Beam etc, shear angle, clip angle, and many more based on your requirements.

The libary connections are being saved within the advance steel database  AstorRules,  this is found within the Steel folder of Advance steel under the country version your are currently working in.

The file is an MDF database file,   which is a SQL database file type.    You can see these databases via the Management tools table editor,  if you use the filter and have some idea of the joint name, you can filter down the tables,  for example Baseplate is a common one.

Follow this link for more detail

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ADSTPR/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-D0A2DF83-B16B-4450-B350-2D0071A39FBF

you may check few of you tube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEvVFiORkvU

Message 8 of 11
Ar_vxv

Hi!
I tried creating custom connections automatically in AS. When importing back to Revit, the error message "Taped, compound, welded, cellular and joist elements are not supported..."
So what can As do more than the standard connections of Revit?
Or am I doing something wrong.
Message 9 of 11
ChandanSutradhar

Hi 

I was supposed to let you know that Advance Steel connection families are more developed purposely for fabrication drawings and detailing whereas if you want to bring them back into Revit those connection families can not act or use as  Revit families. Even Revit connection if you want to use in Advance steel that also not taking actual material entities and fabrication setup. What you can do, like if you want to built a detail connection and fabrication drawing then use Advance steel taking revit export as reference only and do not use revit elements to get actual fabrication sheet and material list in Advance steel. Another way if you need to built detail connection in Revit use upper Revit 2024 Revit connection library or create as per requirement.

Hope the above information may help to understand the current situation or we can connect further. 

Thank you

Chandan

Message 10 of 11
Ar_vxv

Hi!
Perhaps I have a better understanding of the intended use of As. I also had to confirm the existence of the connection details in our template file.
Message 11 of 11
ChandanSutradhar

Yes, you are correct and please continue with the existing information. I will be available for any of your discussions or support needed for the same chain.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report