Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural Steel Material Takeoff - Tonnage

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1474 Views, 3 Replies

Structural Steel Material Takeoff - Tonnage

Hi,

I have been trying to find a way to output an accurate material takeoff for tonnage of steel for a Revit model in Revit LT 2021. I have been using the Material: Volume to calculate the tonnage previously by multiplying by the density of Steel, but this give me a tonnage output by the Cut Length of each member rather than the overall length from point to point and is somewhat unpredictable when calculating the tonnages for Cellbeams or other built up sections.

I found that a more accurate way of producing a tonnage takeoff is to use the 'W' attribute, but this value appears blank in 99% of models that we receive.

Could someone please advise, or advise otherwise if there is a better method for producing a steel tonnage takeoff?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jason.P
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you considered making a schedule for your steel take offs. 

Jason Peters
BIM Manager
Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Jason.P

Apologies Jason,

I thought that the Material: Takeoff option was a schedule in itself. Would I be better off using a Schedule?

Message 4 of 4
Jason.P
in reply to: Anonymous

It is, but if you create one separately you can really control what parameters you put in it. It would be worth a try to make up one quickly and see. 

Jason Peters
BIM Manager
Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators