Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel column length

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2375 Views, 6 Replies

Steel column length

Hi,

I created structural column schedule for steel columns. Only parameter for steel column length is the one named "Length", but after applying modifiers from "Steel" tab (using command "Shorten"), column length in schedules remain unchanged - it does not show modified length. Is there any way to get actual length?

Best regards,

Aigars Strods

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
múinteoir
in reply to: Anonymous

I dont think this is possible, there are no reporting parameters on the shortening

Jonathan Hand
Technology Manager - Symetri Tech

autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black

twitterNaviate

Message 3 of 7
Karol_Piroska

open the column family, add dimension between levels and change this to reporting shared parameter. Load into your project and overwrite the family and parameters. Now you have the columns length available in the properties and schedule.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Karol_Piroska

I have tried this, but still got incorrect column length.

Regards,

Aigars Strods

Message 5 of 7
ToanDN

See below:

Annotation 2019-03-07 155142.pngAnnotation 2019-03-07 155033.png

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you for your replay!

Most of the time such workaround would work, but I think it is a bit tricky to calculate column length from volume - for example if contour cut is applied steel volume will be smaller and therefore calculated length also will be smaller. ...Modifiers which are applied at an angle also will give incorrect results.

Regards,

Aigars Strods

Message 7 of 7
KIMRAMFI

Hi!

Yeah as said you never ever should calculate the length using volume. This is absolutely a topic what Autodesk should fix immediately.

The Cut Length parameter and length parameters should always be visible for the column category. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report