Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaffolding families - best method to use?

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
Anonymous
15146 Views, 35 Replies

Scaffolding families - best method to use?

Hi Everyone, 

We're currently using AutoCAD to model and document large scaffolding systems - we have dynamic blocks of all the different system components which contain node snapping points. This method is extremely easy to model large systems quickly, we basically turn off all snaps except for node, and then copy/array everything we need into position. The downfall is that when it comes to documentation, we're finding AutoCAD is too cumbersome and does not give the flexibility we need to create our drawings as quickly as is possible in Revit. (think section boxes, scope boxes, sections, callouts, etc. etc.) 

So my question is, to emulate the behavior of our dynamic blocks in Revit, should we be looking at adaptive components with embedded point elements, so that we can snap everything together quickly in the project environment, or would the better workflow be to use column and beam families? 

Here's a screenshot of our AutoCAD blocks, I've pulled them apart - you can just see the node next to the bottom right member.

Capture.PNG

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, Any progress with your Scaffold families?  I have converted some 3d AutoCAD blocks (Kwikstage, cuplock), into revit beam and colulmn families. I find using them cumbersome. I have also tried a tube and fit adaptive model. Be interested to see how you are getting on, and getting any feedback on the attached WIP family.

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous

HI Markwhat,

Thanks for the reply, looks like you and I are the only two looking at this kind of thing! 

I like the approach you've taken with building the family, you've certainly put a lot of effort into some of those formulas. I think this method is a great way to populate all your "main" scaffold, I'm guessing you're planning on just manually dropping in the components when you get to corners or unusual parts of the scaffold? How are you going to "snap" all those parts together? This is one of the big hurdles we're finding with ours - we too have found snapping all the parts together way to cumbersome.  

We ended up taking the adaptive component route for our families, and using Dynamo for placement. So far I've only built families for a standard and a rosette, and the Dynamo script is correctly placing the standards based on the face of a selected wall in Revit. We're still going to have the same problem when we get to the corners and any unusual parts, these will have to be modeled piece-by piece, unless we have a family/dynamo that is extremely well put together which has the flexibility to do it. So far using the Revit families, we've done a 100,000 instance test and although it is moderately slow, it's still workable. 5,000 blocks in AutoCAD on the same PC is almost completely unusable (10 minute regen times etc.).

Capture.PNG

Of course, the huge advantage of even bothering with any of this in Revit (when we already have well developed 3D dynamic blocks of all our scaffold components in AutoCAD) is that we can get live schedules for gear lists and weights off the models - something that at requires a fiddly data extraction and import/cleanup in excel at the moment. We also get far more flexibility when creating views for documentation in Revit as well.

I really think the only realistic way forward with this is adaptive components + Revit + Dynamo, with the flexibility to model piece-by-piece as required. It's going to take a huge amount of development time to get it all working though.

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous

I was wondering why it's been so hard to find scaffold revit families.

Apparently a Russian crowd called Variant Factory did up a set of parametric components in 2015 - but the link is long gone. 

http://revitrecess.blogspot.ie/2015/03/parametric-revit-scaffolding.html

I'd be interested in seeing what you have managed so far.

Message 5 of 36
br0gan

I've just been contacted myself with regards to migrating a Scaffolding works from AutoCAD to Revit.

How have you found the point based families?

Like you mentioned, I felt using Column/beam families would have accommodated this.

Have you attempted to model coupler's as 3D model families?

Regards

Mark

Message 6 of 36
shefypattambi

Hi,

I am not from the scafolding industry; However have you tried Peri Revit addin for scaffolding ?

I think you can  customize this families based up on your need. a good starting point.

https://www.peri.com/en/products/software-and-apps/software/peri-library-for-autodesk-revit.html

Message 7 of 36
Anonymous

Hi I would like to obtain blocks like this.

Where can I find them. Currently I design in Peri Blocks

I would like pinlock blocks or layher blocks.

I would appreciate it 

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

We're currently using AutoCAD to model and document large scaffolding systems - we have dynamic blocks of all the different system components which contain node snapping points. This method is extremely easy to model large systems quickly, we basically turn off all snaps except for node, and then copy/array everything we need into position. The downfall is that when it comes to documentation, we're finding AutoCAD is too cumbersome and does not give the flexibility we need to create our drawings as quickly as is possible in Revit. (think section boxes, scope boxes, sections, callouts, etc. etc.) 

So my question is, to emulate the behavior of our dynamic blocks in Revit, should we be looking at adaptive components with embedded point elements, so that we can snap everything together quickly in the project environment, or would the better workflow be to use column and beam families? 

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

Here's a screenshot of our AutoCAD blocks, I've pulled them apart - you can just see the node next to the bottom right member.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Message 8 of 36
titomoura

Hi Guys!

I'm also keen on finding scaffolding families for Revit. I just started working as a scaffolding design and I'm struggling to use AutoCAD, once you taste Revit it becomes too hard to move back to CAD.

I've got a lot of Layher scaffolding pieces modelled on CAD, but I don't know I could export it to Revit and don't lose all the parameters contained in each piece. 

Message 9 of 36
titomoura

Hi,

I've designed some scaffolding families in Revit. It took me awhile to create a methodology to make it. It indeed works slowly than AutoCAD but as you mentioned it is much better to create sections and views (detailing in general). 

I'm wondering how does work your methodology to build up a scaffold?

I my case I had to create grid lines to places the Jacks and standards, ledgers and braces. And then I created plan every 500mm height to place my ledgers. I used a lookup table to create the ledgers family, therefore if the bays change the size, all the ledgers change too and its description. The only annoying thing about this process is if the ledger length is not spot on, it does go to the schedule as unknown element.

Message 10 of 36
titomoura

Hi,

I've created some scaffolding families from layher 3d blocks. I would say there is advantages and disadvantages by using Revit to design scaffolding compared to AutoCAD.

-Disadvantages:

The design process is slower than AutoCAD, because its need to provide more information to do it.

Modelling every single family and its information, such as weight, model and code.

There is no fast way of calculating the seft weight, unless if you create a script in Dynamo.

-Advantages:

Easey to detail the project, especially if it needs to provide lot of sections.

Everything in the drawings can be automatically gear listed , such as timber, plywood, mesh protection,etc.

The drawings doesn't get as slow as AutoCAD even though the files are bigger.

Much easier to design a scaffold in a dense area, once you have all the revit drawings compiled such architectural and structural, etc. So it doesn't need to recreate a 3D drawing to fit a scaffold.

The drawings don't clash as often as AutoCAD.

titomoura_0-1586408326756.png

titomoura_1-1586408385749.png

titomoura_2-1586408435580.png

Message 11 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: titomoura

hey Mate,

I am Wilson From Chile, I was reading your post about the scaffolding family in revit, I am looking for ringlock scaffold families (same as your pictures) do you have all the components? if so, would you be keen to sell them?

Let me know what you think

cheers 

Message 12 of 36
titomoura

Hi Mate,

I've modelled a lot of layher allround components. if you are inetested in buying contact me on telegram +61 424 240 005. 

Message 13 of 36
coralouisevdw

Hi Tito!

Very nice modelling! I´m an architect student from Brazil and currently using scaffolds for my final project. I´m very interested in you scaffold family, can I reach out to you so we can talk about it? 

Message 14 of 36
titomoura
in reply to: coralouisevdw

Olá,

Eu sou brasileiro também, me adicionar no Zap +xxx-xxxxxxxx

Message 15 of 36
coralouisevdw

Oi Tito! Que otimo, obrigada! Infelizmente seu telefone não está aparecendo. Se quiser me enviar por email cora.willigen@fau.ufrj.br
Obg
Message 16 of 36
clacampos
in reply to: coralouisevdw

Olá @coralouisevdw e @titomoura 

Bem vindos a Autodesk Community, vocês sabiam que temos foruns em português vejam neste link. Temos vários Expert Elites e usuários discutindo vários temas. Fique a vontade para nos visitar lá.

😉

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/portugues/ct-p/156

Você achou uma postagem útil? Então fique à vontade para curtir essas postagens!
Sua pergunta obteve uma resposta que resolveu a duvida? Então clique no botão 'Aceitar Solução ' .

Claudia Campos
Comunidade de Usuários Autodesk Português - Coordenadora

Message 17 of 36
M_H_G_M_G

Hello sir ,
can I get these Revit families ??
Message 18 of 36

do you have the families in this photo? do you think you could share them? 🙂
Message 19 of 36

Hi,

I do have the families. I cansahre with you.
Message 20 of 36
M_H_G_M_G

Can i have thesr families? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators