Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IFC Export of linked cloud model fails

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
johan.de.cockBZNEG
233 Views, 2 Replies

IFC Export of linked cloud model fails

I have already read a lot of posts concerning the IFC export of linked RVT models. However the issue I'm facing seems to be a software bug rather than a user problem. It is very similar to this post: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/revit-2019-2-cloudmodels-can-no-longer-expor...

The issue concerns exporting a RVT cloud model to IFC with other RVT cloud model(s) linked to this master model. When checking the box "Export linked files as separate IFC's" the exporter attempts to do as described but fails on the linked model with this error code:

johandecockBZNEG_0-1634804652178.png

The master model is exported just fine.

I tried with two sets of models, second set (Master and Dependant model) created from an empty template to exclude file specific error.

When I download the "dependant" cloud model and link from the Master model (still cloud saved) to the local copy of the dependant model it seems to be working but the conversion takes multiple hours, so I stopped it.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
L.Maas
in reply to: johan.de.cockBZNEG

Seems as a little bug indeed

Normally with IFC you only export to IFC what is in your own scope. Other parties will export what is in their scope. So that is why no linked files are exported usually.

If you still need to export those files you could open those Revit files separately and export them. Depends a bit on the amount of linked files you are dealing with.

You also might trying to do an export with or without the IFC20xx add-in. If the add-in gives the same issues you might try to report a bug on github https://github.com/Autodesk/revit-ifc 

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 3
johan.de.cockBZNEG
in reply to: L.Maas

Thank you for your reply.

I can imagine this is a rather unusual situation. In this case the linked model is still in "my" scope so it does make sense for me to make the export. Going into the file manually and doing the export is of course also a possibility and I'm afraid it will be the only solution. 

When I did get the export to work I also noticed that the "Only export visible objects in view" had no effect on the IFC export of the linked file. So yet another reason why this is not workable. 

Anyhow, I am already using the IFC exporter Add-In so I'll be posting about this bug on the Github page.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators