Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IFC and Unwanted Floating Lines from Structural Framing Model Export

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bails1974
1314 Views, 6 Replies

IFC and Unwanted Floating Lines from Structural Framing Model Export

I have an issue when exporting a structural model to IFC. When it is loaded onto BIM 360 Docs I get a whole series of addition "Floating Lines" as shown on the image attached. The preview image in BIM 360 seems to show there is no model there , with no model preview and when navigating around the model can only be found when doing a lot of searching. However when I load these IFC files into Navisworks or Revit they seem to come in as they should with no additional lines. When other members of the team download them and try to link them into TEKLA the files apparently don't seem to be visible. This probably due to some of these "floating" lines being a long way from the model. I have tried to change all sorts of mapping within the REVIT mapping file option and also various settings within the IFC export tool but with no change in the resulting IFC file. Any thoughts or suggestions on removing these line would be welcome thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: bails1974

Hi @bails1974 

If the model is out of Revit 20miles limit, first move it in original software close to 0, 0  then export to IFC and import such IFC to Revit.

If it is not the case, please post \ send this IFC file.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 7
ashanmugam

Hi,

I am also having same issue. Is there any way to control the export of location lines?

This is the requirement. I have a structural framing model which i need to Bind it in another Revit Model

1. I tried linking Revit Model and bind - It didn't work
  2. I tried to export to IFC and link the IFC then Bind - It Worked(some items were deleted. Its fine)
    1. Then the location lines started showing up for some of the elements.

Best Regards,

Abdullah Shanmugam

Message 4 of 7

Good day,

Was there a solution for the issue mentioned above by @ashanmugam ? I have a similar challenge with an IFC file I received from an architect where all the structural elements have linked lines quite far away from the model?

Thank you

Message 5 of 7

Anyone can help? I am experiencing the similar issue.

This thread has been in here for 4 years. Won't Autodesk respond to it?

I tried to open the ifc format file in Revit 2020, 2021 and 2022, but the issue is still the same.

Message 6 of 7
JoshuamRivera

Anything curved related will not export as you think. 

Anything with a horizontal span will populate a model line for the base constraint. Be it at the bottom, top , middle + offset values. 

Joshuam - Structural BIM VDC Design Director 
Feel free to Like this post if you find it to be helpful.
Click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button if your question was answered.

Contributor at acad logo.jpg

Message 7 of 7

Anything curved related will not export as you think. 

Anything with a horizontal span will populate a model line for the base constraint. Be it at the bottom, top , middle + offset values. 

Joshuam - Structural BIM VDC Design Director 
Feel free to Like this post if you find it to be helpful.
Click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button if your question was answered.

Contributor at acad logo.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report