Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit the properties of a linked architectural models walls?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dseils
142 Views, 5 Replies

How to edit the properties of a linked architectural models walls?

Hello,

I am trying to create framing floor plans for load-bearing walls but the linked model from the architect doesn't allow me to change the properties of any model component. The walls that were linked in have a designated bearing or non-bearing property but some of the walls that are non-bearing were labeled as bearing by the architect. I was wondering if there is a way to edit the properties of these walls so that I can create a view template to use over many floors rather than hiding the walls in each plan. As of now when I tab-click to select the wall within the linked model it doesn't allow me to edit-type or change the family. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to here them

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SteveKStafford
in reply to: dseils

You can't change parameters of elements in a linked model. For that you'd need to discuss this with the architect and get them to fix things that are working for you. You can however use Filters on their elements to control their appearance/visibility. So you could potentially decide which walls to show based on their type name for example instead of relying on the bearing status. The Structural discipline view setting automatically changes the display of elements and non bearing walls are turned off by default.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 6
jay_colcombe

As @SteveKStafford, you cannot edit linked walls from other models and you have to make the decisions on how you represent these walls in your model.

You could use a filter in the Linked model and highlight them visually to have a clear indication to the reader of what then are with a colour key for reference.

or

In this instance I would be more inclined to Copy/Monitor from the Architectural Model to the Structural Model using the Collaborate Tab > Coordinate Panel > Copy/Monitor and have a Physical representation in my model which will be based on the dimensional properties of said walls with more structural bias, this can be done quickly and also has the caveat that if these walls are changes/edited I will have a link showing what has changed from the Monitor Status.  Here you can select a Structural Wall Type with the exact properties you need after being set in your model.

jay_colcombe_0-1722237262955.png

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 4 of 6
ToanDN

You can copy monitor walls from linked model and change wall typeto structural. 

Message 5 of 6
handjonathan

Hi @dseils 

Thanks a lot for posting your question to the forums!   Has the solution suggested by @SteveKStafford @jay_colcombe @ToanDN helped with your issue?

We look forward to hearing back from you with more information so we can help you as a community! 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Message 6 of 6
dseils

@ToanDN @jay_colcombe @SteveKStafford @handjonathan 

Thank you, guys, for the suggestions and help. I have been playing around with filters to try and eliminate walls that are incorrect. I am new to revit so this is all a learning experience for me. Filters seems to be working for now until I can contact the architect to discuss changes. 

Thank you,

Dom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators