Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get the beam extensions to show in plan with coarse view

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dgeibel
2089 Views, 5 Replies

How can I get the beam extensions to show in plan with coarse view

I'm working on a masonry bearing wall project and I'm having trouble getting the steel beam extensions to show in plan. The beams have the proper end extensions and show properly if I switch the detail level to fine however with the detail level set to coarse, the beams get cut back. Is there a way to change this without changing the global condition in the symbolic representation settings? I have other areas where steel beams frame to girders and I want them to be cut back. I'm using Revit 2014, any help would be great!!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
okapawal
in reply to: dgeibel

The coarse view detail level is intended to show symbolic representation using cutback for steel beams.

As you mentioned, the only way to chnage this is to set zero for symbolic cutback distance in structural settings.

Waldemar Okapa

Sr Product Owner
Message 3 of 6
dgeibel
in reply to: okapawal

That's it, I just have to live with it? Anybody else with some thoughts? I can't be the only person who has come across this issue. Its very common to draw structural framing plans in coarse view I can't believe that Revit hasn't addressed this some how.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I think the best thing you can do it edit the family to fit your needs.

To be honest, within my company we re-made moest of the autodesk content to better fit our needs. This will give you the controll over the family you want.

Message 5 of 6
dgeibel
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, figured it out over the weekend. I was able to control the beam extents in plan by adding a stick symbol model line within the beam family and then creating cutback/extension parameters. Not sure if this is the "correct" thing to do but it seems to work.

Message 6 of 6
SeanSpence

This thread is old and you've probably moved on, but for anyone else looking for a way to fix this..

You can modify the symbols for start connection and end connection to have them look how you want. The default connections that come out of the box are Cantilever Moment and Moment Frame. you can search for either of those in the project browser and edit the symbol. save it as wall bearing or whatever you want and make the changes you need to display the end as you want it to look. Keep in mind that the connection symbol will be attached to the symbolic end of the beam. You'll need to add parameters to the symbol so that you can adjust the location of the symbol to be were you need it. left of the center line will be to the outside of the beam end, right will be toward the center of the beam. You'll need to adjust this to match the symbolic cutback distance plus your desired symbol requirements. the symbolic cutback distance can be found in the structural settings. The symbol will also need a line that matches the thickness of the beam to extend the end.

once you have the symbol modified and inserted into you project, go to the structural symbols portion of the structural settings and create a new connection type. assign the symbol you've created and then you'll be able to pick it as a start or end connection from the beam properties.

I've attached a 2018 symbol for reference. It's not a beam bearing but it adds a dot to the connection location. you can see how it works and go from there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report