Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREE FORM REBAR OPENNING

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1699 Views, 7 Replies

FREE FORM REBAR OPENNING

r.JPG

Hi guys Happy holidays

I know most of you guys are enjoying long vacation but if there is someone who is working like me and have some time,

can you take a look at this?

I'm trying to make an opennig on the free form rebars.

I've tried everything possibly I can think of, so far nothing happened

I attached the file I was working on

Happy new year!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
teodorb
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Shandia,

You could add opening reinforcement, by following these steps:

- Select your dome, and use free form rebar;

- When prompted to select the host face, select a face of the opening;

- For start and end faces use the outer and inner face of the dome;

- For adjustment use the Edit Constraints;

Kind regards,

Bogdan Teodorescu

Product Owner
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: teodorb

I don't get it

I drew the dorm first and then added opennings

after that I should remove the rebars of the opening area right?

It's not working I must be doing something wrong I guess

I tried 'drawing the openning first and then the free form rebars'

but it didn't go well

Message 4 of 8
teodorb

Hi Shandia,

I am sorry to have misdirected you. I thought that you were trying to add opening reinforcement, and not cut the reinforcement around openings. @ovidiu_paunescu might be able to help you with this one.

Kind regards,

Bogdan Teodorescu

Product Owner
Message 5 of 8
ovidiu_paunescu

Hello @Anonymous

A free form rebar set cannot be created if the intersection between the host surface and start/end surface produces segments that are not connected.

More info about free form rebar here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Revit-Model/files/GUID-E1FD47EA-F9CB-4A77-A8BC-17A12672FF40-htm.html

In your example, the face at the bottom intersected with the side face (host) produces two distinct segments right and left of the opening

SplitFace.JPG

In this example, one way to overcome this would be to leave a sill at the bottom of the opening (maybe moving the bottom of the wall in the floor by that sill height).

Since i cannot seem to move the opening upward in this example (of the model in place curved wall), you can use a void extrusion in the model in place family to cut the opening.

Defining the set looks like this:

Add a 2cm sill (may be less) at the bottom of the wallAdd a 2cm sill (may be less) at the bottom of the wall

Edit the end constraints and select the opening faces to cut the bars at the opening.

Bar Start/End constraints to the opening facesBar Start/End constraints to the opening faces

Create an identical set, choose the opening face for the bar end and change it to number with spacing

Second setSecond set

See the attached project file for more details.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for

Ovidiu Paunescu, M.Sc. Str. Eng.

Sr. Product Owner | Autodesk Revit

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ovidiu_paunescu

Every time I try to change it to 'number with spacing', Revit gives me ths warning

What kind of magic was that?

Suddenly you have red bars with 'number with spacing' 

plus, I don't know how to edit Start and End constraints sorry...

u.JPG

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: teodorb

It was okay

Thank you for trying to help

Message 8 of 8
ovidiu_paunescu

You can edit the bar constraints by selecting the set and clicking Edit Constraints in the contextual tab.

In the Edit Constraints mode, select a handle to edit the bar positioning or to add / remove faces from that constraint.

The checkbox allows you to constrain the bar to the cover or the element face.

Edit the offset value to adjust the positioning of the bar with respect to the face (negative value - towards the interior of the host, positive - towards the exterior).

Click another face to add it to the constraint, click a selected face to remove it from the constraint.

If you select an invalid face or input a value for the offset that cannot be used, a warning is displayed and you cannot exit the constraint edit mode until resolving the issue.

Free Form Rebar ConstraintsFree Form Rebar Constraints

More on this behavior here:

https://youtu.be/TpOYBkJnrQw?t=149

If you select the Maximum spacing, the distance between the start and end bars is divided such that the maximum distance is the set value.

This means that setting a 400 spacing for a 3900 total span for the set will result in an actual spacing of 390mm and 9 bars.

How Surface Distribution free form rebar works (excerpt from the help section):

Free form rebar interpolates between the first and last bars of a surface distribution set. The curves follow the host surface geometry and respect the cover of the host. First, the intersection of the start surface  and the host surface  places the first bar. Next, the intersection of the end surface and the host surface places the second bar. Finally, the remaining bars (as specified in the rebar set layout) interpolate  between the firstand last  bars.

SetCreation.JPG

When you change to Number with spacing, Revit tries to do 9 bars at the 400 (desired) spacing.

It will fail because a free form set cannot exceed the distance between the first and last bars.

To get around this, change the layout to Minimum clear spacing, then change to Number with spacing.

Alternatively you can change Fixed number and set the number of bars to 8 (in your case 1 bar less then the result of maximum spacing), then change to Number with spacing and you will get 8 bars at 400

Ovidiu Paunescu, M.Sc. Str. Eng.

Sr. Product Owner | Autodesk Revit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report