Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension snap to linked model columns

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
cillian
1740 Views, 14 Replies

Dimension snap to linked model columns

Hello,

I am having an issue where I have a linked IFC model in my Revit project. I want to add a dimension in a section view between a stairs (which is in my host model) and a column (which is in the linked model). Revit will not let me snap my dimension to any part of the column. I can add dimensions which snap to the linked beams without issue.

Labels (5)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
catalin_lang
in reply to: cillian

Can you add a small sample of your model (ifc linked included)?

Looks like an issue we recently addressed. I want to check if it's indeed the same issue and if our fix will solve it.

Thanks!

catalin.lang

Message 3 of 15
cillian
in reply to: catalin_lang

HI @catalin_lang ,

I have attached the host model (Structural) and the linked model (existing).

Message 4 of 15
ennujozlagam

you need to go properties > visibility graphics > Revit links > and set all basic/model categories/annotations categories > all to custom > then start your dimensioning and see if helps. thanks

Callink.JPG

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 5 of 15
cillian
in reply to: ennujozlagam

Hi @ennujozlagam ,

I did as you said and changed all to custom (see screenshot) but I am still unable to snap dimensions to the linked .ifc file columns. So weird that it works fine for beams but not the columns.

cillian_0-1597221183381.png

Message 6 of 15
cillian

Hi @catalin_lang ,

Apologies I attached the wrong link file previously (Existing). Please see attached the correct link file which I am trying to snap dimensions to.

Message 7 of 15
ennujozlagam

opps . sorry i cannot open your file i dont have Revit 2021. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 8 of 15
ennujozlagam

how about this select links should not be off or x. thanks

set.JPG

Message 9 of 15
cillian
in reply to: ennujozlagam

HI @ennujozlagam ,

No, still not able to snap to columns in linked IFC file with select links option turned on or off.

Message 10 of 15
rkhattar

Might be a cut line / projection line issue. 

Try setting you view to Wireframe Temporarily > Set the dimensions > Reset the view.

Hope this helps.

Message 11 of 15
cillian
in reply to: rkhattar

Hi @rkhattar 

No luck snapping to column using your method either.

Message 12 of 15
catalin_lang

@cillian

Thanks for the model. Indeed, it is that issue that we'll address for the next release.

I could not say when it will be, but I'll try to keep you informed.

Thank you!

catalin.lang

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: catalin_lang

Hi Catalin,

Is there any solution to this matter since then? 

In my case, I am trying to snap a point to put in a column on a revit link model but it doesnt work. I would appreciate your help .Thank you.

Message 14 of 15
reeya_patel_

Did this ever get an solution? I am having the same issue with a model sent to me by the steel fabricator I am having to export the steel to CAD then adding faint center lines then importing it back into revit to get the snap points to add dimensions. Surely the other end has a setting to add central axis lines? It's very annoying when I have to update their model in my drawing.   

Message 15 of 15
pavlickDMY84

I'm having the same issue, not being able to dimension to a grid line in linked model.  I can dimension all day to all the other elements (walls, etc), but not the grid line.  Being that this is a new construction project, I have no choice but to use the grid/steel lines for reference.  Please help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators