Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Labels

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
787 Views, 11 Replies

Creating Labels

I have been trying to create labels with the intent that I could bring in a generic label that can be edited easily ina project.  I want to be able to place the label/tag on a sheet and then click on it and edit the text accoringly.  I have tried to set up shared parameters but I can't edit the information the way I would like.  Is there a way to make a label that can be edited through the properties menu when it is selected in a project? 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
kmfuhrman
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been trying to create labels with the intent that I could bring in a generic label that can be edited easily ina project.  I want to be able to place the label/tag on a sheet and then click on it and edit the text accoringly.  I have tried to set up shared parameters but I can't edit the information the way I would like.  Is there a way to make a label that can be edited through the properties menu when it is selected in a project? 

Hi, Adam,

Make sure the shared parameter is an "Instance" parameter, and of the Parameter Type "Text".

Kimberly Fuhrman, LEED AP BD+C
Freelance Architectural Technologist

Message 3 of 12
L.Maas

Can you elaborate a little bit more on what you want to accomplish? Are you creating a title block?

Does it have to be on every sheet (with different values) and in the same location? 

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

I attached a picture of one of our work orders.  Under or next to each view there is text describing the panel for the guys in the shop.  In this image it is just plain text that I entered.  I want to create a tag (maybe a view title tag) that could be placed for eacg view but still allow the text to be edited some.  For instance, in properties I would like to see a spot where you enter the quantity, length, width, panel mark, etc. and revit will just put it in the tag you have selected. Does that make more sense?  I would like it similar to a title block and how you can adjust info in the properties.

Message 5 of 12
L.Maas

Oke, why not a generic annotation? You create a generic annotation family with labels.

You can place them freely on a sheet. when selecting that family you get your properties and you can fill in the data you want.

It allows to multiple select and adjust multiple of those at the same time.

Generic Annotation.png

1- This is how you place them (empty on a sheet)

2- After filling in the data.

Or do you have additional requirements to read someithing from the view itself?

That is also possible. Edit the family for the view and add labels.

As a quick example, I changed one of the default view annotations and added some parameters

Panel Info.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: kmfuhrman

How do you make a parameter an "Instance" parameter?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: kmfuhrman

Just to clarify, here is a parameter I added called "Segment". There doesn't appear to be any option to change the parameter type - everything is greyed out.

Segment.JPG

Message 8 of 12
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify, here is a parameter I added called "Segment". There doesn't appear to be any option to change the parameter type - everything is greyed out.

How did you get to that dialog?

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

I started with Modify | Cable Tray Tags

Edit Family

Modify | Label side-menu

Edit Label

Picked "Segment"

Click on "Edit Family Parameter" button

Message 10 of 12
ToanDN

A label doesn't care if the parameters used in it is Type or Instance.  It only report the value.

If you want to change the Segment shared parameter to Type or Instance, go back to your Project and open the project parameter menu and look for Segment in the list.  If it is there and is Type, then the only option is to delete it and re-create it if you want to make it Instance.

To do so, delete the existing Segment, add a new parameter and browse to the Share parameters file and pick the Segment parameter and tick Cable Trays category box, this time make sure Instance option is chosen.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

I was able to delete the Segment parameter, but where do I go to browse to the shared parameters file?

Message 12 of 12
ToanDN

Do you know where the Shared parameters text file used to create the Segment in the first place? If so, go there and get the Segment parameter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report