Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Filters that are based on shared parameters

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Demetri.Ingilis
538 Views, 10 Replies

Creating Filters that are based on shared parameters

I am working on a project (Revit 2022) that has split the scope of work over 10 different packages. These packages are not necessarily done in a certain construction sequence. As some work in Package 2 would require some work in Package 4 to be performed, and vice versa. There are only two phases, existing and new construction. Therefore, in my plan and section views in one package, section callouts are visible that refer you to section views on other packages. We do not want to do that. What I used to do is just hide elements for the sections i didnt want to show in in certain views, but it gets really complicated when dealing with so many packages and would be nice if a filter could be created that would only display the sections on a specific package in a specific view. Here is the setup.

There is a demo view template, with filters locked to it.

There is a new construction view template with filters locked to it.

These two view templates would be constant to all packages to create some sort of visual uniformity between the different teams working on different packages.

I tried messing around with creating this view filter. Someone on my team created a shared parameter labeled "Package Number" which can be applied to sheets and views. I labeled all views in package 4 with the 4.00000 input. However, it seems the filter will only let me set this shared parameter equal to an input value, which would mean I have to create 10 filters- one for each package and would then have to either: 1- remove filters from the overall view templates (which forces me to now manually add back this new filter and all previous filters to each view), or 2- create a view template for each package, each with a different filter for the above issue (which will affect our want of uniformity between packages).

What I want is a filter to say, if shared parameter "Package Number" of a section view DOES NOT EQUAL the shared parameter "Package Number" of the view that it is in, then hide that specific section line.

Basically i want to link a parameter to another parameter in a filter, not link it to a set input value.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Labels (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RDAOU
in reply to: Demetri.Ingilis

@Demetri.Ingilis 

You could do that with other means such as dynamo but not with view filters.

Shared parameter are intended for model elements/categories hence project parameters suffic. You can set condition "not equal to" or "does not contain" in case of sub packages; however, you would still need a filter for each package

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/simplecontent/content/filtering-sections-views-bas...

Filter sections.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 11
ToanDN

Yes you can do that. You don't even need a shared parameter, just need a project parameter assigned to views category. The create filter for sections, elevations, call outs and apply to view templates.

Message 4 of 11
EdwinG
Message 5 of 11
ToanDN

See example file.

ToanDN_2-1638830220314.png

ToanDN_1-1638830095144.png

ToanDN_0-1638830068872.png

Message 6 of 11
Demetri.Ingilis
in reply to: ToanDN

This is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I want one filter that can handle all the packages, not one filter for package 1, another for package 2, etc. This ruins my use of one view template for the entire project.

Message 7 of 11
ToanDN

@Demetri.Ingilis wrote:

This is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I want one filter that can handle all the packages, not one filter for package 1, another for package 2, etc. This ruins my use of one view template for the entire project.

- Create a view template for each package and uncheck everything except V/G Overrides Filters and apply them to your views per package

- Reversely, uncheck V/G Overrides Filters in your main view template and apply it to all views to restore other view properties except for the filters

Message 8 of 11
Demetri.Ingilis

You need to re-read my initial post.

1. I don't want one view template per package with its own filter.

2. I don't want to uncheck filters in my one VT because I am now forced to manually add this package filter to each and every view of each package. I also will then have to manually add all my previous filters that i had applied.

Message 9 of 11
ToanDN

@Demetri.Ingilis wrote:

You need to re-read my initial post.

1. I don't want one view template per package with its own filter.

You don't want them but you need them.

2. I don't want to uncheck filters in my one VT because I am now forced to manually add this package filter to each and every view of each package. I also will then have to manually add all my previous filters that i had applied.

Both of these tasks are relatively easy if you know what you are doing: replicate the old filters to new templates and assign a view template to multiple views.

Message 10 of 11
Demetri.Ingilis

I dont want them, because then any small change in one VT has to now be done 9 more times. No thanks.
As I stated in my initial post, I am aware of these two options already, but was asking if the ideal scenario exists. If the answer is no, just say so.
Message 11 of 11
RDAOU

@Demetri.Ingilis 

Refer back to reply no. 1.

You could do that with dynamo, NOT with view  filter. At present you cannot combine 4 filters into 1 filter with If statement

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators