Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coping steel beam to beam not showing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
davidedge
1859 Views, 6 Replies

Coping steel beam to beam not showing

Hi All,

I have a portal frame where two steel beams (call them A&B) come down to form a valley. There is also a steel beam (call it C) running between the portals at valley level. I want to notch A&B around C but although it appears to work at first it then goes back to showing the beam extension.

Attached below shows before and after notch, but on the second image once I un-highlight the beam on the right is when it goes back to showing the extension on the beam and no notch.

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks, Dave

Additionally I'm trying to change the haunch properties, is there a way to change them globally as I can only see a way to do them individually.

Beam to Beam Notching.PNG     Beam to beam Notch 2.jpg 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
wojciech.badura
in reply to: davidedge

Hello

Could you upload model with these three elements. I cannot reproduce this problem on my example.

Thanks in advance.

WB

Wojciech B

UX Designer
Message 3 of 7
davidedge
in reply to: wojciech.badura

Hi, Attached a reduced version of our model. The right hand beam is notched and when I change the length I see the notch then it disappears again. Ideally I'd like to have a clip connection but again I'm having trouble getting that to work correctly.

Thanks, Dave

Message 4 of 7
wojciech.badura

Thanks.

Now, I can reproduce.

I see reason of this problem. These beams with defined coping have connections created on second ends. When connection is created, geometry of connected beam is exchanged to fabrication geometry. Unfortunately, beams with fabrication geometry don’t support coping.

So.

I see only one workaround. Remove coping and create cut on beams manually by using “Opening by Face”. Openings are supported by fabrication geometry.

Regards

WB

Wojciech B

UX Designer
Message 5 of 7
davidedge
in reply to: wojciech.badura

Thanks for the info and understand.

I wonder is the any reason why I can't use the clip angle connection, I've tried the double clip angle too and get strange results.

Dave

Message 6 of 7
davidedge

Figured it out, I have the wrong primary member selected and I need to use the skewed clip angle, doing once side at a time.

Thanks for the help diagnosing my problem in the first place. Much appreciated.

Dave

Message 7 of 7
wojciech.badura

Yes, in some cases default primary element is not perfectly set.

Regards

Wojciech B

UX Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators