Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between Adjustable and Perpendicular Taps?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Iev60047
469 Views, 3 Replies

What is the difference between Adjustable and Perpendicular Taps?

The only article/resource I found on this topic was here: (Adjustable versus Perpendicular Spud). Open to others.

That article explains that adjustable allows for angle taps off ducts and perpendicular does not, but is there any more information on the difference in behavior in Revit between the two types of tap families? Also, does anyone have recommendations on when to work with either of the two different types of families?

Some additional questions I have:

1. Can an adjustable tap accommodate a 90° angle (i.e. perpendicular)? From what I can see, it seems that it cannot.
  2. Is 45° the only angle that the tap can accommodate? Or is there a range of angles that the adjustable tap can use.
  3. If I would like to use the same kind of tap for both perpendicular and non-perpendicular situations, should I simply save the family again with a different file name with a new part type (i.e. perpendicular or adjustable)?
  4. Is there any logic to why certain Revit out of the box (OOTB) taps (e.g. Round Takeoff with Damper) are set to adjustable? Is there a industry or mechanical reason behind this?

Lots of questions! If anyone has any insights that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Labels (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: Iev60047

Some can work like a Wye (angles other than 90°), some are perpendicular only. the ones I use for round and rectangular taps are based on the oob fittings. 

I think the one than can work as a wye can't auto-route to be like a 90°. So in the duct routing properties I change the type of tap when i need to tap in in a different way. 

I have 4-5 tap families for each round and rectangular ducts. In the routing properties I move the one up in priority that I need. If you mangle everything into one family you could save that, but it would be a complex family. You may need different types, and then you need to manipulate the routing preferences anyway. 

Most oob taps are based on what is actually available and used in the field. You always can expand possibilities in the family. But I would advise to first find out if the fitting you want to invent actually exists in the real World. You also need to find the C-factors for pressure drop. 

I don't really understand all questions... did you try it out? That should answer most of the questions. I think you can Wye in angles other than 45° (e.g. 30°). That should be easy to find out..... 

Edit: I just realized you meant pipes, not ducts. But what is aid still applies in principle. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 3 of 4
Iev60047

@HVAC-Novice as usual you are a great teacher. Thanks again. I'll try some more stuff out and see what I learn. 

Do you change the type of tap in the duct routing properties every instance that you need to wye? Or do you create a new duct routing type (e.g. family category right underneath "Duct Systems") to accommodate that new kind of bend? 

Message 4 of 4
HVAC-Novice

I change it in routing options when i switch between needing the 90°, or the wye. For all the fittings that are 90°, i just use one and then manually change the type if needed. TBH, 90° of the time it is the same tap anyway. 

For transitions I set it to 45° by default because that works better with auto-routing. i then manually change the fitting to 15° or 30°. 

I used to have different duct types that used the different taps and transitions. but now I just use one duct type (one for rect., one for round) and change the preference. 

As you see below, I basically just move the fitting I want up. 

Ducts need some more artistry anyway since they are bulky. For pipes things are simpler. Look at my elbows. I autoroute with one of them and then adjust to gored (if over 14", since that is the maximum size die-stamped elbows are available). There isn't a great way to really automate it. Wherever possible i try to use the most efficient fitting (e.g. 15° instead of 45°, 1.5D elbow instead of 1D) and where possible adjust them. but for auto-route the less efficient (=more space efficient) works better. 

enkus_1-1653587752379.png

Revit version: R2024.2.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators