Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Centerline colour change without changing its colour given in graphics

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
2468 Views, 20 Replies

Pipe Centerline colour change without changing its colour given in graphics

I can't able to change only the pipe Centerline colour without changing my previous colour given in Type properties: graphics override. Let's say If Pipe colour is blue then I want the Centerline colour to be Magenta.
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
slhm92
in reply to: Anonymous

This is something you should be able to do through visibility graphics.

Type “VG” and navigate to your filters tab at the top.

Create a new filter, and make sure you add a set of criteria that matches only the pipe type you want to change, i.e you may only want to change an LTHW flow pipe and not a BCWS pipe.

When you have set up a filter, you should be able to change aspects like, “line”, “pattern” and “transparency”

In the line dialog box, you should be able to set a line type and colour.

In the pattern dialog box, you should be able to set a pattern like solid and a different colour to the line colour.

Hope this helps, if it does, please mark as a solution

Thanks

Sam
Message 3 of 21
RobDraw
in reply to: slhm92

@slhm92, did you get it to work?

How is one supposed to target the centerline with a filter without affecting the pipe?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 21
slhm92
in reply to: RobDraw

Perhaps i have not quite understood.

But looking at the filters dialog, you are able to change the line type & colour and the pipe pattern and colour.

I've taken a screen grab and attached of what i understand the original post the be asking, if wrong, apologies

Message 5 of 21
RobDraw

The OP wants separate control of the centerline.

Rob

Message 6 of 21
slhm92

BY that, do you mean that 1 pipe type, e.g LTHW Flow could have different line types whilst keeping the pipe classification the same? i.e different line type for ceiling void pipe and low level pipe?

Message 7 of 21
RobDraw

I'm thinking that you don't know what the centerline is. It is the line going through the center of the pipe. The OP wants to be able to change that interdependently from the rest of the geometry.

This should help:

Centerline.jpg

Rob

Message 8 of 21
slhm92

I am fully aware of what the centre line is, and from my knowledge of using Revit, there really isn't much you can't do with it.

- Change colour.

- change the line.

- if you really wanted to spend the effort and time, you could have a different line type for every single section of a piping system.

This is what i am saying, filters really give you the power to do whatever you want to do with pipes.

I honestly can't think of anything you would want to do, but can't do

Message 9 of 21
RobDraw

@slhm92 wrote:

I honestly can't think of anything you would want to do, but can't do

How about the question at hand which you have been ignoring until now?

Changing the centerline color independently from the pipe.

Rob

Message 10 of 21
me1a

You can change the Centerline color only in Object Styles or in VG Overrides (also for templates). In all the other settings (Filters, System overrides and element overrides) you will change the color of the pipe AND the centerline.

Warning: If you were able to change it and then you apply a color filter for the pipes, you will lose your colors, the filter will be applied to pipe and centerline.

Good luck!

Mela

Message 11 of 21
slhm92
in reply to: me1a

i think some clarification is needed as to whether it's the internal pipe colour the OP is referring to or whether it is the continuous type lines either side of the centre line that surround the whole pipe.

The answer to the above would clear all the disagreements out

Message 12 of 21
RobDraw

@slhm92 wrote:

The answer to the above would clear all the disagreements out

That answer is in the original post. The OP states that they want the centerline to be magenta.

Rob

Message 13 of 21
slhm92

Yes, i get that, but there is such resistance of the fact that this is an almost impossible feat that i feel there must be something you're seeing that i am not.

There are override graphics by element, or change by category (something like that, i don't currently have Revit in front of me)

OR

Filters, which allow the OP to do what he wants you to do.

I beg you to try this because you clearly have not.

The previous company i worked at had a full set up of various line types, line type colours, solid fills and solid fill colours for the same classification of pipe depending on whether the pipe was at ceiling void level, high level, low level or below floor level. I assure you it works

Message 14 of 21
RobDraw

@slhm92 wrote:

Filters, which allow the OP to do what he wants you to do.

I beg you to try this because you clearly have not.

Why accuse me of something like that when you are the one that does not understand the question not have tried to get the result that the OP wants?

Please show me how you can filter the pipe centerlines like I asked of you before. When I try this, it is not possible.

I believe @me1a might be on the right track to an actual solution but the fact that the OP is using system graphic overrides, may get in the way of what they are trying to accomplish.

Have you ever used "System Graphic Overrides"?

Rob

Message 15 of 21
slhm92

Here is the method i used to previously create different line types within the same piping classifications:

1. For each pipe classification, e.g LTHW Flow, BCWS etc etc. you creat 4 different filters with 2no. filter rules. 1 filter rule being the pipe classification (it may be system name that is needed - Play around with it). and the other filter rule being  custom comment.

2. for as many different line types you need, create the same number of comments i.e 1 for ceiling void pipework (i used "CV" as a comment, High level "HL", Low Level "LL" and Below floor Level "BF".

3. For each of the 4 filters, apply the setting for line type and pattern that you want.

4. When you draw a pipe add the relevant comment within the edit type settings.

5. The pipe should take the desired line type, Line Colour, Fill type and Fill Colour.

If done corectly, you should end up with different line types depending on the comments included within the pipe properties.

I know it is not exactly an automated process, but as a work around it certainly does work and it allows centre lines to be controlled using filters

Message 16 of 21
RobDraw

In other words, you are not using "system graphic overrides".

Rob

Message 17 of 21
slhm92

why would i try suggesting using something that does not work, when  can suggest a solution that is tried and tested?

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

Actually I am already in middle of the project and I can't changed the colour through filter. So please give me some ideas if it's possible without doing that.
Message 19 of 21
HEETESHC

What is LTHW & BCWS pipe type? Please let me know.

Message 20 of 21
slhm92

Can you not change the colours in the model as you’ve progressed too far or already issued drawings? As you can change filter whenever you need to with very little effort and it will have an effect on all the relevant pipe work. If you’re unable to change the filters, there are no other methods I am aware of unfortunately.

LTHW is Low Tenperature Hot Water
BCWS is Boosted Cold Water

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report