Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit running on Intel core 2 duo processor

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1960 Views, 9 Replies

Revit running on Intel core 2 duo processor

I'm a new user. Want to purchase Revit systems and run it on a laptop. Most all new laptops now have Intel's latest greatest processor --- core 2 duo processor and not pentium 4 as recommended by Autodesk. does anyone have any experience running Revit systems on a core 2 duo processor?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

the big thing i noticed on my laptop (P4) was dramatically increased heat during certain types of actions (rendering, some high detail stuff) which a bit of tinkering got around (replaced factory thermal compound, modded fans a bit, added filters to keep heat sinks from clogging) of couse this means that the laptop was not designed to be run at peak processor and vid card for extended peroids, but it's nothign one can't work around.

incidentally, i'm a BIG fan of acer laptops, especially for the onboard numberpad and ~3:4 screen instead of a widescreen means a LOT more ease of drafting. the hardware is well laid out, and easy to mod as well as replace/repair/upgrade, and can typically be done by a level 1 geek rather than it needing to be sent to a factory if it's out of warranty.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Cadnewuser,

We've got 10 new Core2duo machines...not laptops, but they really run Revit and all other apps we've tried like a dragster. Nothing seems to slow these puppies down.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I've run some Revit scripts on core-duo machines and have noticed almost 50% improvement in overall speed (time spent running script). The comparison was a 2.18GHZ Core Duo to a 3.2GHZ pentium 4.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

What is "Revit scripts"?
Мауbe "formulas" or "Conditional Statements"?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

He's probably talking about Journal files. It's an unsupported way to run 'scripts' with Revit, and you can use it to make Revit benchmarks to test configurations and speeds.

There is one floating around on AUGI, for example, as a render benchmark test.

I've got a Core Duo laptop (Dell) and it runs Revit Building just fine...
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Wow! It's interesting!
How can I run "Journal file" as a script in Revit?
Where to read about it? I want to benchmark my revit too!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Look in the 'Journals' folder wherever your copy of Revit is installed. Revit saves down the steps you do, as you work, so that one could retrace their steps for debugging or last-ditch recovery in case of a crash (you can 'play back' your work).

Just drag and drop one of these Journal files over the top of the Revit shortcut, and Revit will launch, do whatever the Journal file tells it to. BE CAREFUL. It takes everything literally, so it's going to go open the file you just finished working on and re-do everything AGAIN if you were to choose the latest Journal file for this. So make a 'test' one to play with.

Big problem with this is that it's just for debugging and recovery, it's not supported by Autodesk for customization. It's some form of Visual Basic Scripting, however it changes from version to version for Revit and so anything you do with it might break even on the next build.

But it is a lot of fun to play with, and some brave folks have done some neat things with it...

Jeffrey
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Can anyone in this discussion group help me with a slow running AMD Athlon 64 X2 +3800? I have 512KB of L2 cache per core, 3GB of RAM. The video card is a GeForce 6100 (integrated) and shares 128MB of RAM (I think). Anyway, with Revit running (no project loaded), my task manager shows CPU Usage at just over 50%. When I work in a relatively small file, say <8MB, the system pegs out at 100% to do anything in revit at all. I have the virtual memory set to 6000 MB (2 x installed RAM). The System Cache varies, but typically is just under what the Peak Commit Charge shows while working in Revit. I don't understand what this means or how to change it. HELP!!!

Any manipulation in the revit files usually takes several minutes to process and show up on the screen.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Leonard
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

You are running Revit with no speed issues? are you working with large project files? Could you please post or e-mail me the machine specs you are using. processor type and speed, memory brand and amount, video card model #, etc.

Thanks,

Doug

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators