Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP Flanges / Welded pipes

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
3366 Views, 2 Replies

Revit MEP Flanges / Welded pipes

I'm having problems using flanges and welded pipework in the same system using Revit Systems (MEP).

You can set the flange you'd like to use in routing preferences and this works if you only use flanged fittings and accessories. If you want a welded connection you can remove the flange from routing preferences, but this will also remove flanges connected to flanged fittings / accessories if you do anything to that particular section of pipe.

I've tried different different pipe types for flanged / welded pipe but this still doesn't get around the problem when you have flanged one end / welded opposite end pipework.

The only workarounds involve manually inserting flanges between welded pipes and fittings, but this causes problems for me with hidden / cut lines in views using mechanical discipline.

Has anyone ever managed a proper solution to this or will the problem remain until Revit fades away?

James

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
GTisRuleX
in reply to: Anonymous

Create a copy of the system, remove flanges from one, have flanges in the other.  Your only other option would be to manually place flanges, which is typically what we do as a MEP Fabricator.  If all of your fittings are flanged, you should be using a flanged system anyway with integral flanges built into the parts or it will screw up any scheduling.  Slip-ons and Weldnecks should be a separate line item on your schedules as is.  I tend to think they actually thought about this when they designed the system.

(Stock Revit families are a waste of time if you're trying to model with any realism.  They're not geometrically correct.)  The company I work for is a Plumbing/Electrical fabricator /installers and we ended up subscribing to a 3rd party part builder for the bulk of our pipe fittings and valves.  The only other option (If takeoff matters) is to invest a large amount of time building families.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: GTisRuleX

Thanks for your reply, but we can't do what you suggest. We have invested time creating all of our families, as you say the OOTB families are next to useless so we created a library of class 600 equipment for gas sites.

A number of our valves are pupped one end, flanged the other end. And quite often we have a section of pipe between a welded tee and a flanged valve. So unless we nest the flanges into the family before inserting them into the system we have to manually insert them, which breaks the system.

Since my last post I have seen other people posting in the Ideas section asking for exactly what I need - connector based fittings which make far better sense than the current global method. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/pipe-connector-behaviour-and-control/idi-p/6559689

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators