Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit for landscape irrigation design

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
2659 Views, 14 Replies

Revit for landscape irrigation design

Hello everyone,

just wondering if any companies are using Revit for irrigation design calculations and drafting sheets? and if not any reason you think why?

# irrigation #design #water_calculations

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
hmunsell
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you referring to things like underground sprinkler systems?

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: hmunsell

Hello hmunsell,

not referring to a specific system, irrigation sprinklers / rotors / drip irrigation / underground systems or any related item, I'm wondering if the general practice in large design companies to use Revit or civil 3d for irrigation design and sheets products? I'm for Jordan and in the middle east Revit is still not used for irrigation design and calculations hence it is used for full mechanical works and production.. wondering if Revit is used for full building design and documentation, is there a logical reason why Revit is not used for Irrigation yet? 

Message 4 of 15
hmunsell

I would absolutely use Revit for pump buildings and that type of work. Revit is great for taking the incoming connection and helping you design all the pumps, valves, meters, etc. needed. it can also do calculations, flow rates and analysis. When It comes to long stretches of pipe (pressurized or not) to get water from one place to another, or dealing with Topography, I would definitely use Civil 3D.  

My Water/Wastewater and Process groups use Revit with C3D all the time. Revit is used for the Pump Stations and Facilities (big or small) and C3D is used for all the Utility side work, Grading, Profiles, Hydrology, etc....

Howard Munsell
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: hmunsell

any chance Revit can cover the utility and site work related to irrigation? 

Message 6 of 15
hmunsell

On a small/medium site (acres/hectares), Revit should be able to handle all the piping needed for the irrigation. The larger the site (miles/kilometers), you may start running into more issues. either way, you will probably need to make custom pipe Segments, Systems & Types as well as Families to accommodate the specific needs for irrigation.  Revit will not do any kind of Hydrology though.

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
s.borello

I see most using Civil 3D for the task... Why?  In my opinion it's because of time, and what software people are comfortable using.  I feel it's quicker for most to slap together a drawing in Civil 3D than it would be in Revit. 

Message 8 of 15
fabiosato
in reply to: s.borello

Hello,

In Revit, drawing sloped pipes to follow terrain slopes is a real pain and will demand an incredible amount of working hours.

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: fabiosato

I understand the difficulty, but isn't this why we should design the system easiest way on revit to avoid site related complications , clashes and variations later on. My question came from the background i find very little interest in irrigation revit.  

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Hi, In Australia Revit is only just starting to be asked for with irrigation projects.  One of the main reasons for the lack of irrigation designs in Australia is that the landscape design industry is also in its infancy compared to architectural and hvac industries that have been using Revit since the beginning. Irrigation quite often is combined with landscape in the contract of a project so if landscape isn't designed in Revit then irrigation definitely won't be 

Landscape and irrigation are playing catchup and this is only because government bodies are demanding BIM for all major infrastructure projects. 

Another key reason for irrigation not being designed in Revit is that many clients don't see that % value for irrigation designed in Revit and don't want to pay for it if they don't have to.

Darren

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Interesting. You can check our new provided line of revit irrigation products under Hunter Industries website. I think they will be pioneers on developing the BIM irrigation systems. Let us know your opinion and feedback on the provided line and its efficiency in revit irrigation projects
Message 12 of 15
RobDraw

BIM - Building Information Modeling

Irrigation is outside of the building. There are probably more useful programs for this type of thing than Revit.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 13 of 15
siddheshwar_vero

Hi 

I am providing Irrigation design Revit for small and large landscape project .

I am modelling all irrigation pipe in Revit .

Really it's very good software for irrigation.

Message 14 of 15
mitch
in reply to: siddheshwar_vero

I'm interested in what your workflow is.  Would you be willing to share a little about where you begin and how you move through a design?  What components do you use?  How does your pipe network respond to the landscape surface?

So many questions!

Message 15 of 15
mitch
in reply to: siddheshwar_vero

Interested in your workflow, siddheshwar_vero. Care to share any insights?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators