Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe tag DN change INCH

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2763 Views, 10 Replies

Pipe tag DN change INCH

Hi all,

İ use DN 80 (Ø80 mm ) pipe but i want to tag it in inch. That show 3 1/4". It must show 3". how can i solve this problem.

And same problem DN200 7 3/4";DN250 9 3/4" etc.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
robert.klempau
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

When you change the units for Pipe size in your project to Fractional inches Revit will convert the nominal Pipe Size of the Pipe segments as you can see below.

In Revit OODB it is not possible to use the metric standard when modeling and tag it in Inches.

The solution is to use a Dynamo script that reads the Metric Pipe Size and adds an inch value to a project Pipe parameter that you can tag.

1. The Dynamo script has to read all the Pipes in the project
  2. Read the Pipe Segment name and Size and look that one up in an Excel file.
  3. Then read the inch value and place that value in the project Pipe parameter. For instance 'Pipe_Size_inch'.
  4. Then you can create a tag with two types. One that will display the PipeSize value and one that displays the value of the 'Pipe_Size_inch' project parameter.

I will make a Dynamo script that does that for you.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: robert.klempau

@robert.klempau thank you for yor reply and yor hard work for dynamo.

Message 4 of 11
robert.klempau

Hello @Anonymous,

Eventually I did not create the Dynamo script.

I found a way in Revit to do this.

What I did was creating a new Pipe Tag that is going to display the Inside Diameter (1) of the Pipe.

In the Edit Lable dialog box I selected the parameter and changed the units. (2)

I set them to Fractional inches (3) and set the rounding to nearest 1/4". (4)

outer Diameter tag inches.png

Below you see the result.

Pipe size inches.png

You can download the Tag family below.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 11

Is there a way to hide either the metric or imperial size label based on the pipe size? I.e. I'd like any pipe under 50mm diameter to be displayed as imperial, and pipes starting at 50mm in metric.

Ideally, I'd like this only to work for specific pipe types, maybe based on a shared parameter yes/no? 

Message 6 of 11
arthur.crepuscoli

Hey there! I've been pondering the most efficient way to work with both inches and millimeters simultaneously. As a solution, I've devised two tags: one dedicated to inches and another to millimeters.

For the inches tag, I've incorporated a calculated parameter.

if(Diâmetro = 20 mm, "1/2''", if(Diâmetro = 25 mm, "3/4''", if(Diâmetro = 32 mm, "1''", if(Diâmetro = 40 mm, "1.1/4''", if(Diâmetro = 50 mm, "1.1/2''", if(Diâmetro = 65 mm, "2''", if(Diâmetro = 75 mm, "2.1/2''", if(Diâmetro = 80 mm, "3''", if(Diâmetro = 100 mm, "4''", if(Diâmetro = 125 mm, "5''", if(Diâmetro = 150 mm, "6''", if(Diâmetro = 200 mm, "8''", if(Diâmetro = 250 mm, "10''", "VERIFICAR")))))))))))))

arthurcrepuscoli_0-1693935207849.png

Message 7 of 11

if(Diameter = 20 mm, "1/2''", if(Diameter = 25 mm, "3/4''", if(Diameter = 32 mm, "1''", if(Diameter = 40 mm, "1.1/4''", if(Diameter = 50 mm, "1.1/2''", if(Diameter = 65 mm, "2''", if(Diameter = 75 mm, "2.1/2''", if(Diameter = 80 mm, "3''", if(Diameter = 100 mm, "4''", if(Diameter = 125 mm, "5''", if(Diameter = 150 mm, "6''", if(Diameter = 200 mm, "8''", if(Diameter = 250 mm, "10''", "VERIFICAR")))))))))))))

Message 8 of 11

This is a great solution! But, to make it better, I added the internal diameter parameter because the external diameter parameter was sometimes going wrong.

Message 9 of 11
fabiosato
in reply to: gabrielaARLN4

Hello,

One suggestion, you can add this information in the lookup tables instead of using formulas.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
marcia_brake
in reply to: fabiosato

@fabiosato I've seen you suggest a look up table in a couple pipe tagging posts. The look up tables I could locate are all for fittings. If it is just pipe diameter I'm trying to tag do I create a new look up table?

I have process piping that I want tag with the DN metric number - it seems best to have my pipe sizing set to mm. But then I have a few supply pipes like water that is coming in imperial sizes so I want to tag those as 2" or 4" I'm having some rounding issues so I would like a look up table that I can use to report the correct number. 

Message 11 of 11
fabiosato
in reply to: marcia_brake

Hello,

For pipes, I create a project parameter using the same shared parameter and use Dynamo to fill it.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators