Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Rise/Drop symbol printing issue

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
casquatch
3691 Views, 5 Replies

Pipe Rise/Drop symbol printing issue

With the pipe rise/drop setup that I'd like to use, things aren't quite printing as they should be. Depending on the scale, things "appear" correct, but the issue shows up a bit more on an enlarged scale.

I've attached a PDF of what is going on. Essentially the elbow down is not printing entirely on larger scales and it just seems to be an issue with how Revit is printing things. With a smaller scale, it appears to be doing the same thing, but the line weight is greater and things merge together. The actual item on screen is showing as desired no matter what the scale is or zoom level (see screenshot on right of PDF). Although, I can turn the line weights off and zoom in and the outside of the elbow will change as if it is somewhat hidden behind multiple lines (hard to explain).

This is running on Revit 2017.2

Using the 2017 OOB Generic - Elbow family.

The views are setup on Hidden Line, and Fine detail.

Also, on this pipe system, the rise/drop settings are as follows:
Rise-Drop.PNG

Any thoughts? Seems like a hidden line/printing issue, but it doesn't seem like anything that can be fixed with adjustments to V/G.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rudi.roux
in reply to: casquatch

Hi @casquatch

Hope you are well! Smiley Happy

I think it is just one of those limitations in Revit. I tested various scenarios and settings and the one that came closest to a solution is the following...

Either by means of overriding the view VG with system filters or by means of overriding the Pipe System Graphic Overrides. Then also setting the Two Line Drop Symbol to "Bend - 3/4 Circle" opposed to "None" which you currently have. 

1-pipe-new-1.png

This is then the PDF result for a 6" Pipe @ 1/4" Scale: 

1-pipe-new-2.png

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 3 of 6
casquatch
in reply to: rudi.roux

Thanks for the reply Rudi.

I attempted to adjust the lineweight of the system to our standard (LW4 for pipe fittings/pipes), while that did adjust the lines on that pipe down, it still had some gaps, they just moved to a new location.

Your comment did spark a thought though, so I gave it a try...

I edited the family and added a symbolic half-circle to the Back and Left views of that pipe fitting family.

Here's a look at the left view:

PipeFitting_Half-CircleAddition.JPG

I also adjusted to be only visible at Fine detail (obviously).

Worked like a charm. Here's a snip of the PDF print.

PDFPipes.JPG

This works a bit better as we have a couple of standard elbows that we use, so I can just update those rather than make the adjustments to all of the pipe systems. It also prints much nicer.

Probably something to be added to the OOB content, I would think.

Message 4 of 6
casquatch

So I ran into more issues related to this setup. I've created another post as it is somewhat of a different issue...

Pipe Fitting - Tee not showing symbolic linework

Message 5 of 6
casquatch
Message 6 of 6
RobDraw

Nothing new here. Revit has struggled with this in various ways for a very long time.

Good luck!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report