Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light fixture Apparent vs real power for connector

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
HVAC-Novice
145 Views, 0 Replies

Light fixture Apparent vs real power for connector

Light fixtures transmit their electrical load via the room calculation point into the space. So for purpose of lighting power density (energy code) I would need to tie the real power (Watt) to the electrical connector. 

But for the purpose of electrical sizing I should use apparent power (VA), which is a bit higher due to power factor. 

The electrical connector can use both VA and W, but it is labelled "Apparent power". it also uses the power factor. i was hoping the pwoerfactor would recalculate real power for purpose of space power density,. but even if i set it to 0.1, it still shows the same lighting power density. So the spaces uses the apparent power value for lighting power density calculations, which i think is wrong. 

So how do I use apparent power for the connector (for electrical system sizing), but use Watt (lower number) for the lighting power density? Power factor is 0.9 or higher, so the values are not that much different. but still should be accurate. 

I could just use apparent power, but then my lighting power density will be too high (and possibly above code). if i use real power, lighting power density will be correct, but electrical sizing won't.

Is there a way to use both real and apparent power so that lighting power density and electrical sizing use the correct value? 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators