Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drawing round duct 45 degree fittings

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1902 Views, 11 Replies

drawing round duct 45 degree fittings

Is it possible to get Revit to show round 45 degree takeoffs from round duct the same way they typically look in AutoCAD?  I've done some searches in the forums and haven't had any luck finding out how to do this. If you look my image, I've highlighted in red what I wish Revit would trim out and left in green the line that ideally would be left showing. The second image shows our AutoCAD output with those type of fittings.

Labels (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm fairly certain it's possible with one of the take off families. Can't give it a try until tomorrow, though. I think what you are showing in your Revit screen shot is not connected.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 12
iainsavage

I think this is what you are looking for. These are from the metric library but I assume there are equivalents in the imperial library as well.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

Thanks @RobDraw.  The duct is connected.  I can just never make it look pretty like AutoCAD for printing.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: iainsavage

@iainsavage, thank you.  Your fitting is very similar to the one I had used but a little longer.  The duct connection ends up looking identical to my other one, however.  I used the OOTB family for "round takeoff - standard".  Below is a screenshot of your family.

revit2.png

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Since the fitting, in reality, does not continue further into the duct as Revit is showing it, the output makes for a sloppy duct drawing at best and confusion for a contractor at worst.  Here is an image that illustrates why we draw it the way we do in AutoCAD. 

fitting_image.jpg

Message 7 of 12
iainsavage

@Anonymous they are not my families, they are OOTB Autodesk families.

Based on the rest of your post it sounds as though you might be better using fabrication parts rather than design ducts since appearance and accuracy is so important for you.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: iainsavage

thanks for your input @iainsavage 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw, were you ever able to take another look at this issue?  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on this.

Message 10 of 12
bconroy9YDFA

bconroy9YDFA_0-1664273307186.png

go into family editor on the shoe Branch.

change the Part type to,  Tap - Adjustable

bconroy9YDFA_1-1664273420901.png

now you can tap at any angle into a round duct

Message 11 of 12
iainsavage
in reply to: bconroy9YDFA

The problem which the OP was experiencing is that part of the tap projects inside the parent duct and they don't want it to do that.

Does your solution achieve that? Could you post some images showing the end result in a project?

Message 12 of 12
Tommy_S

Seems to me the only good solution here is finding or making a good LOD400 saddle family to work with.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report