Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Input when trying to input Initial Intensity on new light fixture family

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
BKDCreative
2727 Views, 8 Replies

Invalid Input when trying to input Initial Intensity on new light fixture family

Hello

I am trying to create a light fixture family that has predefined different types based on the length of the fixture. I can make the first two types without any issue but when I go to adjust the initial intensity of the third type I get the Error "Invalid Input". Now when I try to adjust the initial intensity of any of the types already made within this family I get this error. 

Does anybody have a solution to this? 

Thank you,

James

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
piotr.bocian
in reply to: BKDCreative

I don't know how you unticked, but you need to tick one option of Initial Intensity, which you would like to adjust.

Message 3 of 9
rudi.roux

Hi @BKDCreative

Looks like you have a bug mate 🙂 

Firstly, I would save the current session, clear your temp folder, and ensure that you have the latest version of the year which your working on is installed. Then restart your PC and have a look. You should then be able to make use of the radio buttons. One of them will always be ticked. 

If you want to report a fault after the aforementioned did not work, do so by going to THIS LINK

Additional information relating to the initial intensity and it's settings can be found on the Autodesk Knowledge Network. Have a look at THIS LINK and also at THIS LINK.

I hope this helps! 

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 4 of 9
BKDCreative
in reply to: rudi.roux

Thank you for your response. I was able to close the family then reopen it and modify the initial intensity without any errors until I made a new type within the family then the error came back again. I closed down revit and cleared my temp folder before restarting the workstation. I haven't received the error again.

When I was receiving this error, it would pop up when I had the initial intensity window open even when I didn't mouse click in Revit. example, when I would go to launch chrome or autocad it would pop up.

The wattage radio button was selected initially until that error starting popping up then they all became cleared out.

I am running 2019.2 with all of the current updates installed. 

Thank you,

James

Message 5 of 9
rudi.roux

Hi @BKDCreative,

Glad it helped. The temp folder is often the cause for things acting up. If the problem persists going forward, I would go through some of the general troubleshooting scenarios, such as ensuring all OS and GPU drivers are up to date, clean the temp folder/restart your PC, then check, if it still persists, a re-install of Revit might be required. 

If it persists thereafter, submit a fault report as per the link which I provided. 

Cheers,

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 6 of 9

The %TEMP% folder is irrelevant to this bug that can be reproduced across any new versions of Revit.

---

In my experience, this is due to using IES files with absolute photogrammetry, like the ones provided by Revit's sample IES files.

IES files with absolute photogrammetry will have a property inside the file with a specified lumen value like:

[_TOTALLUMINAIRELUMENS] 3146.8

where the total lumen value is 3146.

This is kind of ironic, because Revit ignores this value, meanwhile it also blocks you from working with the file properly. This is a bug that should've been addressed years ago.

To be able to modify the lumen value, temporarily choose an IES file that does not have an absolute lumen value, then change the lumen value in Revit. After you've set the proper value, you can point to the right IES file again.

---

If you're not sure where to find an IES with no absolute lumen value, just use the first one in the list of sample IES files provided by Revit "1x4 2Lamp.ies".

Message 7 of 9
_dalewfd

@Samuel.Arsenault-Brassard thanks for posting the work around, seems like the bug is still around today. Was tearing my hair out trying to update some of our lighting families. 

Message 8 of 9
redhouse.j
in reply to: _dalewfd

Screenshot 2024-04-13 103956.png

 Yes I have this too - and endless cycle of windows that won't close.

Message 9 of 9

Thank you! This helped me with my revit issue on 2023. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators