Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many decimal places can Revit use?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DJSCRIPTS
396 Views, 2 Replies

How many decimal places can Revit use?

Hello, 

I am trying to use calculated parameters to combine parameters in a way to allow the sorting of my schedules to work properly in the minimal (4) sorting parameters that Revit allows in its schedules. However these numbers get quite large. In excess of 60 digits some times. Ive noticed weird things happen like decimal numbers not getting carried over at this magnitude and so forth. So my questions are (1) how many decimal places can Revit reliably use in one of its "Calculated" parameters ("Number" type) in a schedule and (2) how many digits can it use in a "Number" parameter in one of its families? Because when I try to add a 1 with 30 zeros (1 E+30) for example, Revit adds random numbers in at the end for some reason: 

DJSCRIPTS_0-1613658864005.png

What gives? Please advise. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: DJSCRIPTS

I'm not sure what you calculate to need more than the 6 decimal places Revit allows. 

for pressuredrop calcs I sometimes have the issue of needing more than 6. What I do is use the inverse and inverse that in the equation. So if I need to multiply something by 0.000000001 (more than 6 decimal places), I instead divide by 1000000000.

I never used that in the schedule calculation like you seem to do. I only used that in families. there Revit just rounds away what is beyond 6 decimal places. Looks like in your case in a schedule Revit handles that in a different wrong way. but my method should help. 

Not sure why that is, and I wish they would fix that. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 3 of 3
iainsavage
in reply to: DJSCRIPTS

allow the sorting of my schedules to work properly in the minimal (4) sorting parameters that Revit allows in its schedules.”

What does that mean? You can sort by any parameters which are associated with the family category in the schedule.

What category of schedule are you using?

Bear in mind as well that Revit is for construction projects with tolerances measured in millimetres or maybe 1/16ths of an inch at best - Revit won’t even draw a line less than 1mm long. I’ve never in my life, as an engineer rather than a scientist, needed to calculate anything to 30 decimal places.

I don’t know the answer to your question but there must be a better way of achieving your goal I think.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators