Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate Plumbing layout 45 degree only

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jeroen_vanmassenhove
2116 Views, 9 Replies

Generate Plumbing layout 45 degree only

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into all the features of Revit concerning Pipes. As I was drawing a the plumbing of a project to determine openings in precast walls and to make sure everything would fit, I figured 'Hey it's Revit, it shouldn't be the only solution to be drawing everything by hand and even be subject to mistakes concerning slope directions etc.'

So, I started looking into the 'Generate Layout' feature. 

As it turns out, I was right and Revit can generate a piping system quite easy.

However, the given solution wasn't exactly what I needed.

I was designing a sanitary system and we only tend to use 45° elbows and T junctions for this system (toilets).

The generate layout tool uses 90° junctions only.

On the Knowledge Network:

Routing1.PNG

However, I can't seem to find any article to adress this issue, and that is exactly what I needed.

Let me elaborate with pictures:

This is what the tool suggest and kind of what I need:

Routing2.PNG

And this is what I really need:

Routing3.png

I figured out it might have something to do with MEP settings, forcing Revit to only use 45° elbows, or disallow 90° connections...

So I tried to untick 90° here, but it is grayed out.

Routing4.PNG

Is there a way to get the result I need? Am I looking in the right direction?

Okay, sorry for the long post, I tried to explain everything as good as I can.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hallo Jeroen,

Kan het in het Nederlands?

Heb je net een mail gestuurd.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 3 of 10

Hello Jeroen,

Unfortunately, you can't generate layouts with 45° takeoffs.

That would be a nice improvement to Revit tough. J

For now, you have a little bit more work.

In the video below you see how I generate a Placeholder layout and modify the 45° takeoffs. Then slope the Pipe run and concert it into Pipes.

Hope this helps a bit.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 4 of 10

Hi Jeroen,

Revit will always give you the simplest connection when connecting pipe/duct systems, there are option to choose from but it will not give you a 45° connection option and always perpendicular to other pipe/duct. 

What you have done is right but you have to do some extra effort to connect them the way you want to be, like 45° connection to the main. I suggest you run the automatic pipe systems without any sloping and modify each branch connections to the main using 45° take-off. It is more easier to connect pipes without the slopes and you can use the multiple duplicate option to copy the 45° branches and connect them to the main using 1 command.

Now when you have all your pipes connected the way you want to be, you can then run the automatic pipe sloping for the entire system.

Let me know if you need further help.

Ryan Ortega
MEP BIM Lead
Aurecon Group - Dubai, UAE
www.ryanortega-bimportfolio.com
Message 5 of 10

@CADTripper wrote:

Hi Jeroen,

Revit will always give you the simplest connection when connecting pipe/duct systems, there are option to choose from but it will not give you a 45° connection option and always perpendicular to other pipe/duct. 

What you have done is right but you have to do some extra effort to connect them the way you want to be, like 45° connection to the main. I suggest you run the automatic pipe systems without any sloping and modify each branch connections to the main using 45° take-off. It is more easier to connect pipes without the slopes and you can use the multiple duplicate option to copy the 45° branches and connect them to the main using 1 command.

Now when you have all your pipes connected the way you want to be, you can then run the automatic pipe sloping for the entire system.

Let me know if you need further help.

Thanks CADtripper for your answer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that sort of what Robert did in his screencast? The difference is that you suggest working without placeholders as to Robert. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Jeroen,

Unfortunately, you can't generate layouts with 45° takeoffs.

That would be a nice improvement to Revit tough. J

For now, you have a little bit more work.

In the video below you see how I generate a Placeholder layout and modify the 45° takeoffs. Then slope the Pipe run and concert it into Pipes.

Hope this helps a bit.

Will try both methodes and work out what suits me best. Too bad Revit won't let us do exactly what we I asked, but a workaround that isn't that hard works fine for now!

General practice here in Belgium (and as I learned, the Netherlands as well thanks to Robert) forces us to use 45° elbows for these kind of systems, isn't that the case in the rest of the world? (Smiley Tongue or, does fecies act differently according to the nationality of it's producer?  Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy)

Thanks guys!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jeroen_vanmassenhove

Is it still not possible to connect two horizontal sanitary pipes at a 45 degrees angle? I cannot understand why that should be a problem, but I don't manage to do that in my project 🙂

Message 7 of 10
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you referring to doing it with the generate layout tool?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

I’m not familiar with the Layout Tool and have never used it, but I may look more into that. The problem I have now is that I simply want to connect one horizontal drain pipe to the main in a 45 degrees angle, but when I google it seems that it’s not that easy as it should be. It will not be very good to connect to the main with a 90 T-cross 🙂

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

This is the type of junction I want to use:

2318372_1.jpg

Message 10 of 10
RobDraw

This thread is about automatically generating a layout. Your question is not related. You should start your own thread so as to not confuse readers.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators