Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabrication Parts Fittings dont change size when changing pipe size

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jwlewis777
694 Views, 8 Replies

Fabrication Parts Fittings dont change size when changing pipe size

Using Revit 2021.

I downloaded the Viega Propress CadMep file and got everything working. I've included these fittings in some of the services and all is good there.

I found the problem when selecting parts of a system and changing from say 1" to 3/4" that it will change the pipe size just fine but it will add reducers for all the fittings and leave them as 1" fittings.

I've looked around and believe it to be due to lookup tables or the lack of lookup tables for these fittings, because they are manufacturer specific fittings.

I do have an xlsx spreadsheet with all the fitting information, but not sure if I need to use this to create a CSV file or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
RSomppi
in reply to: jwlewis777

If you don't select the fittings, they won't change size.

Message 3 of 9
jwlewis777

The fittings do get selected along with the pipe. 

Message 4 of 9
RSomppi

Can you provide an example file?

Message 5 of 9
jwlewis777

I just tested this using Revit 2021 and the standard Imperial V3.2 Configuration. Created a new project using Imperial-Construction Template, then load the Imperial-Content V3.06 configuration. Add the ADSK - Plumbing (Domestic): Cold Water Service and click ok.

Select the soldered group and draw some 1" copper pipe with some 1" 90's and a 1" Copper tee. Then select all the pipe and fittings, goto the properties box and select 3/4" in the Product Entry.

The pipe will change to 3/4" but the fittings will stay 1" and Revit will add 1" x 3/4" reducers to keep the pipe and fittings connected.

If you turn off the reducers so they don't get automatically added, then you will get disconnect errors when you try to change the size.

I can't send a project file right now. Its not allowed from work so I would have to send one when I get home, but this is an example using the default systems and configurations.

Message 6 of 9
RSomppi

I'm not familiar with configuring the services but I tested this in one of my projects with two segments and an elbow and the elbow changed. I can try to dig into it a bit later to see if any of the other services act differently.

Message 7 of 9
jwlewis777

Ok, did some more testing with Revit 2021 using MEP Fabrication parts

Using a new project Imperial Construction Template...

The default configuration Imperial Content V3.06 had issues changing copper fitting sizes when trying to change pipe and fittings all at once, it would place reducers instead of changing the fitting sizes.

No issues changing pipe and fitting size for grooved or cast iron systems when selecting a whole system of pipe and fittings.

The default configuration Revit MEP Imperial COntent V2.2 Changed fitting sizes when everything was selected but still disconnected some fittings.

No issues changing pipe and fitting size for grooved or cast iron systems when selecting a whole system of pipe and fittings.

Im not sure what the problem is. Reading posts about this issue back in 2016, yes 6 years ago, people were saying it was due to lookup tables, but there are people saying that Fab parts dont use lookup tables so I have no idea how to fix this.

Today alone I have had to do this with cast iron roof drain systems a dozen times without any issues. That was changing 8" pipe and fittings to 6" or 4". NO ISSUES.

Message 8 of 9

I know this post is a couple of years old, but I am running into the exact same issue as you had described after downloading Propress's Fitting / Pipe Revit template. I'm not able to completely follow how you came to your resolution, if you remember way back when how you resolved your problem would you mind helping me better understand?

Message 9 of 9

(Haven't used fabrication parts before, but I assume they also have a connector like a family)

It could be that the parameter that is linked to the connector that defines the radius or diameter is filled in or has a formula in it (so the value is grayed out). It should be an empty parameter so Revit can send a value into it in your model when changing the size of the pipes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report