Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duct Tags, Pipe Tags, Elevation of Duct/Pipe

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sdanielsRXEH4
822 Views, 3 Replies

Duct Tags, Pipe Tags, Elevation of Duct/Pipe

Hi all,

Hopefully I can explain this well enough.. Basically the company I am working for is new with Revit, and I am "the Revit Guru" here as they call me. No one has really used Revit except for me. I've been using Revit for four years at a technical high school so I know some of the in- and outs. 

I am creating the company template with all the proper title blocks, systems, tags, etc. loaded and created. I am almost finished with the mechanical side of the project template, and am working on finishing touches. 

I am curious as if there is a way to have a duct/pipe tag and elevation automatically match the duct or pipes system color when they are placed? or if I have to individual make a bunch of different tags for every system. I really do not want to have to do that, because of the fact, that is a lot of different family types. 

I have been searching everywhere for an answer and have not succeeded. It would be great to have the tags and elevation tags automatically change line color to match the system of the duct? 

I swore a place I worked at before was able to do that, but I do not know how.

Anyways thank you for reading and for all the help.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
DTND
in reply to: sdanielsRXEH4

Never seen that done before. Most annotations/tags are black for printing. You can however override in view colour of tag to match service colour or like you said have a different colour tag per system type (not recommended).

I am guessing you are doing this for a coordination view..? We find it better to view system types by having different colours assigned to each system.

'A person without much talent or ability is considered special by those with no talent or ability at all'
Message 3 of 4
sdanielsRXEH4
in reply to: DTND

Thank you for your response! 

That is correct, they decided that they wanted to get more into coordination. Every system is already set up as its own color (layer), and they do end up printing black (typically depends on the customer). What we decided would be best is to match the tags to the system, especially seeing they do  (EVERYTHING) all the electrical, mechanical, plumbing, structural, fire protection, architectural, and what not. Some of the coordination drawing tests get confusing when looking at them on the computer with all the tags and elevations being all the same color. A lot of the guys here are used to autoCAD so Revits a big jump and I am trying to make the whole idea visually pleasing as well as functional. 

When i was in high school I had a co-operative job experience, at a local MEP, and BIM Firm, I did a lot of the drafting, rather than set up. I do remember when using the tags and what not they would automatically match to the duct or pipe. I just never knew how I just did the work. (I wish I knew now). Even one of the guys who has a little more Revit Experience than the others, thinks its possible from a class he took. 

What would the override actually do and is it just by override graphics in view? 

Anyways, Thank you so much I honestly wasn't sure if I would get any response at all

Message 4 of 4
fabiosato
in reply to: sdanielsRXEH4

Hello,

I have a sugestion, it may sound a little complex but it is feasable.

1-Each discipline should be in one file.

2-Link all files in one empty file, and activates worksharing, and set each file to a workset.

3-In each view set the links as the image below.

Settings.png

4-On the View Control Bar activates the option using Worksets, you can get the result in the image below.

Coord.png

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators