Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail Item - No text showing in Project

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
9678 Views, 15 Replies

Detail Item - No text showing in Project

I know of the issue with text in a detail item not showing up when placed in a project. I thought the workaround was to create a generic annotation family with the text and nest that in the detail item family. But, I do this and the text still does not show up when placed into a project. Any solutions?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
fabiosato
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

As long as I know, Detail Items can´t have text, but you can tag them, which seems to be a better workflow.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
rudi.roux

Hi @Anonymous

Hope you are well Smiley Happy

Your workflow/workaround is correct: To the text in a separate generic annotation family, and then nest that annotation family into the Detail component family. Then the text or label will show up in the project.

I attached a sample file for you, below is the steps which I took. You might have reasons for wanting to use Text in Detail Items, I must say that I prefer to use Labels and Tag them. Nevertheless, below is something similar to what you want to achieve... 

End Result: (Text Nested in a Detail Item, visible in a Project)

1-DI-1.png

Detail Item with Text Nested: (Note: Make sure that when you select the Text, make sure the Visibility Checkbox is ticked)

1-DI-2.png

The Generic Annotation (Text), set to the Generic Annotation Family Category prior to loading it in the Detail Item.

1-DI-3.png

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: rudi.roux

I did basically the same thing and my annotation would still not pull through. When I get a moment today. I will rebuild it and see what happens. Then post any issues that occur. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Just got to testing this out a little. So, there is no problem if I use that detail item in a project. I believe the issue is that I'm using the detail item as a symbol in a lighting fixture family. The text does not pull through the detail item, through the lighting fixture family and into the project. 

Message 6 of 16
rudi.roux

I'll have a look at it. 

Rudi Roux
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 7 of 16
rudi.roux

Hi @Anonymous

I'm only in front of my desktop now which has Revit 2017 installed. Smiley Very Happy 

Ok, the Generic Annotation (Text Note) nested in a Detail Item, which is then nested in a Lighting Fixture Family Type will not do the trick. With a Label, yes, it will be possible. (Tested it, just to confirm my statement).

So what I did was to nest the generic annotation and detail item into the lighting fixture family separately, I then also assigned Yes/No Visibility Parameters to each of the nested items to better control it in the project. 

Below is a Screencast which runs through a couple of things and I also attached the project for you to reference from. 

Rudi Roux
LinkedIn

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

I like what you did here. But, the issue is that I need to place the detail item and "text" in the front view of the lighting family. The fixture will be on a wall. I need the symbol to show up coming off the wall. I cannot place an annotation in the front view.

Capture.PNG 

Message 9 of 16
rudi.roux

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just curious as to why you're looking to go this route opposed to using Tagging? Tagging can be powerful and a lot more practical, flexible and it is schedulable. I created a screencast for you which might be of some use to you. You can achieve what you're after by using tags and does not matter in which view, section, elevation or even locked 3D view you're in, you'll be able to use Tags. 

I also attached the Tag which I used in the Screencast. (It's metric, sorry. I know you use imperial units). 

Rudi Roux
LinkedIn

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

I totally agree with you. The text I'm showing is nothing more than a part of a symbol though. All I am trying to accomplish here is to have a symbol for a specific light fixture show up on a face based family. Inside that symbol there is a "J" indicating a junction box. 

Message 11 of 16
rudi.roux

Hi @Anonymous

If it is a "one-time thing" which you're trying to achieve in order for you to indicate junction boxes in families, then why not open the Detail Item, and instead of text, draw a "J", that is option 1.

1-j-1.png

Option 2 is to create two different tags using two different labels. (You can tag elements more than once). 

Option 3 would also be to use two different tags. The one, let's say the one which would represent the Junction box, would use symbolic lines in the tag which can also represent the "J" and the other tag would be your standard tag for lighting fixtures. So basically 2x Families, even Family Types can be used to achieve this by means of using visibility controls. 

Rudi Roux
LinkedIn

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Option one is what I've done already. I've talked with engineering. We figured out a different way to just not have the "J" in the symbol. At this point I was just curious why the text does not work in this manor. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Message 13 of 16
rudi.roux

Darn limitations!!! Smiley Very Happy Luckily, there are workarounds in most cases!

Rudi Roux
LinkedIn

Message 14 of 16

Hi Rudi, that's all and well. But That Generic annotation that gets nested into the detail item actually scales when loading it into a project. I want the Text to remain the same size when scaling the project view.

Message 15 of 16

Hi Rudi, that's all and well. But That Generic annotation that gets nested into the detail item actually scales when loading it into a project. I want the Text to remain the same size when scaling the project view.
Message 16 of 16

Hi, I've the same problem,

is it possible to control the scale / size of Generic Annotation

just as how Tag works in a Project?

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report