Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraining an Arc to Two Lines

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mhillis
461 Views, 3 Replies

Constraining an Arc to Two Lines

Hello Everyone,

I've got an Elbow family.  It's a Square Throat, Radius Heel family with straights.  The elbow's body is built using two lines for the throat and two lines and an arc for the heel.  As shown in this screenshot.

ElbowStruct.PNG

Now, when the Width In value is greater than the Width Out value, this works great!  However; when the Width Out value is greater than the Width In value, it breaks.  As shown in the next screenshot.

ElbowDims.PNG

You'll see Line 2 breaks away and goes beyond the "Width Out" body. 

What would be a method to avoid this from happening?  

Thanks!

I've attached the family for reference.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
nathan.chapman
in reply to: mhillis

I've attached the Revit 2016 family that shows what you need to do. I dont have 2014 on my machine which is the original you attached. 

Capture.PNG

Nathan Chapman
Production Manager at General Heating and Air Conditioning

Revit Architecture Certified Professional
Revit MEP Mechanical Certified Professional
Revit MEP Electrical Certified Professional
DynaFabrication Package Author

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDOS button.
Message 3 of 4
mhillis
in reply to: nathan.chapman

Nathan,

Thanks for the quick reply, I see where you're going with the Family you sent.  Hooking the lines to a plane and using that to keep the lines on the other side of the connector solids.

Unfortunately, I can't quite seem to get this to apply correctly.  Having the Width In > Width Out creates the same issue on the other side of thing.  I did create the same setup on the other side of the elbow fixes it.  However; the big issue is now I can't get the angle to adjust anymore.  It results in a broken extrusion.

What would REALLY be nice is if I could control the Arc Length of the curve.  In AutoCAD, we've got this same fitting made that works just fine by making the arc tangent to the two lines that support it.

Wouldn't happen to know if that is possible in Revit do you?  

Message 4 of 4
mhillis
in reply to: mhillis

After playing around with this some more.  I've figured it out and got this model working the way I want it.  I really just had to be EXTREMELY methodical with constraining all these things together.

Thanks for the input Nathan. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators