Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can two Revit files from the same project linked, but still separated?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
richard.pilla
923 Views, 7 Replies

Can two Revit files from the same project linked, but still separated?

Let's say we have a large Revit MEP file, a 40-story building with duct and pipe frameworks contained within it.
Its convenient having multiple disciplines in one central file, but the sheer file size of it means that doing
any sort of in-model work would be slowed down. Is it at all possible to have the various disciplines segregated
to their own separate files, but still have them linked to each other in so that they can be still viewed
in their opposite files, but not have the actual model in the file? For example, if I separate a central project
file into two files, one that contains the ductwork, the other piping, could the ductwork file be set up in such
a way that the piping is still visible within it, but not editable and vice versa? Like I mentioned before, with so many
disciplines loaded onto one model, it can severely affect performance.

Is it something I can do within the manage links tab? I guess what I'm asking for is a way to create a 3D overlay
of file A that can be visually seen in file B, but not actually present in file B so it doesn't increase B's file
size. As well as having any changes made in file A be automatically reflected in the A overlay in file B.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sujanc
in reply to: richard.pilla

Yes, you can segregate the files by their discipline and also linked in different files. But please note that you have to open the different discipline files(ductwork, pipe) in individual session of revit and linked the other files. Otherwise the link will be unloaded. 

Please select "Accept solution" if the information was helpful (This allows other users with the same issues to find it higher in search results), or reply back if you need more help!
Message 3 of 8
richard.pilla
in reply to: sujanc

Thank you very much for replying! 

You mentioned that it can be done, is there a specific procedure that you follow in order to achieve this? Like I mentioned in my original post, is it possible to have the duct file visually seen in the piping file, without actually being present in the piping file?(again, i want to do this as a way to not increase the file size for the individual discipline files) Also, you mentioned loading the different discipline files in an individual session in Revit, does this have to be manually done every time the file is opened or is it a one and done thing for the file's lifespan?

Message 4 of 8
ToanDN

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/EN...

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
richard.pilla
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks for the info, we're on the right track 

Question: is it at all possible to access the duct/pipe connectors of the linked file? For example, If I have a mechanical equipment family loaded into the duct file that has both duct and pipe connectors on it, and I link in the pipe file into the duct file, is there a way to finagle the linked in pipe file so that I can connect it to the mechanical equipment via the pipe connectors present in that loaded family? When I tried to copy elements from the linked duct model, it could only highlight the whole mech. equipment family and not the specific pipe connectors native to it. Is there a workaround for this? 

Message 6 of 8
RobDraw

You can use copy/monitor and map the families to "dummy" families that have the bare minimum of elements needed to place the connectors. You will need to coordinate settings manually. This is the major stumbling block with using separate models for MEP.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 8
richard.pilla
in reply to: RobDraw

Ah, I see. 

I'm starting to understand this more and more. Just to clarify when it comes to using copy/monitor, my best (read: only) option is to copy the mech. equipment family as a whole, there is no way to copy just the connector elements of that family into the host model? No kind of workaround or anything like that? 

Message 8 of 8
RobDraw

Please read my previous post again. The option I explained allows you to utilize copy/monitor to grab the equipment and replace the families with different ones that contain just enough geometry to place the connectors correctly. It is that or copy/monitor without mapping but that does get you the entire piece of equipment.

You have two options.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators