Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD layers resetting when refreshing Linked CADs

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
challstrom
806 Views, 4 Replies

CAD layers resetting when refreshing Linked CADs

We are working with an Architect that uses AutoCAD. We link these files as background for our work. Inconvenient, but workable.

We occasionally receive an updated background from the Architect. The new file has the same name and same layer names, just revised linework. When we reload the linked CAD file, the CAD layers  found under the "Imported Categories" tab reset. This forces us to go through and turn off the entire list of unwanted layers across multiple disciplines.

They reset for views with and without templates assigned. I've made sure the CAD VISRETAIN variable to is set to 1. This happens when we "Reload From.." or "Reload" in Revit. I've tried with the "Preserve graphic overrides" both on and off.

Anyone have a thought or solution?

Labels (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
RobDraw
in reply to: challstrom

Are you on the cloud or a local network?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 5
s.borello

Have you tried a view template?

Message 4 of 5
challstrom

Should have mentioned, I'm running Revit 2022

@s.borello  I can set a view template, but the CAD layers still revert to visible. This happens inside a view template (if one is applied) or in the view itself (if one is not).

@RobDraw The working file is in BIM360, but I've tried both a local and BIM360 location.

Steps to recreate are as follows:

• Create a new Revit project from built-in template.
  • Save it to a location.
  • Link CAD file Version1 (either local or BIM360. I've tried various CAD files).
  • In Revit go to Visibility/Graphics-Imported Categories and turn off some layers.
  • Copy CAD file Version1 to new file Version1 (in different location to avoid naming issues).
  • Replace old CAD file with new CAD file (if using the "Reload" option).
  • In Revit reload (or "reload from...") CAD file.
  • CAD layers in Revit revert to visible.

The problem doesn't exist if the linked file is edited, but only if replaced/reloaded.

Can anyone verify that they get the same issues?

Message 5 of 5
challstrom

For some reason, I cannot replicate the problem any more. 😲 😵 😠 It was a pain last Friday (2/25) but no longer.

I'm not sure if my we're loosing our minds, or if AutoDesk fixed something somewhere. Seriously starting to doubt my sanity, but myself and three coworkers have been battling this issue for the last 5 months.

Regardless, this issue has mysteriously evaporated. Guess I'll table this issue until it shows up again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report