Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topography Enhancements

Topography Enhancements

Autodesk must do something for topography to evolve. It should be possible to create, as per reality, topo covering a roof for some half of fully burried houses, to hollow cut a topo like any type of volume. Must be absolutely considered, especially with the evolving sustainable ways houses will be like in futur. Burried or half burried is more than important.

31 Comments

1. Patterns on topography, in some countries this is standard in site plans

2. Dimensions (also on filled regions..)

3. Ability to pick topography lines when drawing other elements (right now I have to draw a pattern on top of the subregion/toposurface by eyeballing it, then add annotation lines, and only then can I add dimensions to the topography.). 

Creating site plans, master plans, and landscape plans is just so arduous right now because of the limitations of the topography. Even plug ins and extensions don't help. 

Tags (3)
susana.duarte
Advocate

I need to control thickness of topography surface drafting pattern.

Topography need full revision, please.

mtkachuk1
Explorer

Some features that could be useful for topography and site-design are:

-Create contour lines in Revit, instead of using points (Yes, importing CAD plans works, but if you don't have Autocad it sucks). A plus to this is that it will allow modification to the topography after the building is designed. Maybe that could be controlled with phasing filters as well. 

-Building pads with multiple heights, angles, and maybe some other attributes; or joining different building pads to create one larger pad.

-Pad like features: for creating parking surfaces or other items where you would like a pad, but still have options to control it like a floor. So essentially a floor that is hosted / connected to the topography. This could even be useful for creating walkways and curbs. Because the site designer tools are not very good.

-Maybe a tool for creating uniform ditches/culverts 

-Hatch patterns showing in plan 

-Tessellate feature: something more for concept design that would smooth out topography while keeping specific points at their designated heights. Such as contour lines and points. So this could just smooth out the space between points and lines to create less jagged looking topographies

-Retaining wall feature that automatically creates a void in topography - with the option to control the height of the topography on each side of the wall (sort of like a building pad, but drawn like a wall). Should also contain attributes to control the angle of the wall, as well as the assembly and so on.

-Curb tool - similar to retaining wall, that or have a feature to match a landscape pad-like feature to the t.o. of the curb. That will allow users to just control one height instead of two heights trying to match each other.

-Fence tool: like the railing but could handle topography variations better: options to keep posts completely vertical or at angles (as desired), option to control posts O.C. distances. Options to control if the stringers will be horizontal (and form a step-like structure rather than matching the slope of the topography). And the ability to host a section detail to the tool.

It's a big wish-list with lots of civil features, but it would be really useful for concept designs and smaller projects that are done completely in-house. 

Tags (4)
mpwuzhere
Advisor

A lot of this was attempted already with Site Designer...it's terrible. 

And why do you need Autocad for point imports?  It is not a requirement for it to be installed.

mtkachuk1
Explorer

Yeah, I haven't heard anything good about site designer so far.

Not using Autocad for points, but for contour lines. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a plugin out there for Revit that would allow someone to draw contour lines inside the program, and control the elevation of each line.

mpwuzhere
Advisor

I think the folks at Autodesk try not to copy stuff from ArchiCAD....and being able to draw the contours with heights is an Archicad feature....which was quite fun when I created my own funky surfaces.

But just being able to create crazy surfaces with Revit by points is pretty cool too. As I start playing with a surface though this part of your idea would be very cool

"Tessellate feature: something more for concept design that would smooth out topography while keeping specific points at their designated heights. Such as contour lines and points. So this could just smooth out the space between points and lines to create less jagged looking topographies"  Having to add a bunch of points just to get a curve is too time consuming.

chrisBW22T
Explorer

Patterns / fill on topography! I don't want to have to redraw all subregions as details / regions just to get some basic colour on our plans.

Thanks, C

nickcurtisgba
Contributor

Yes!!

Enabling Topography surface patterns to show up in plan seems like an easy implementation if the hatch is flattened (similar to a drafting hatch).

Enabling Topography surface patterns in Vertical (Elevation, Section) views as well as Axon/Perspective views could be enabled at least as a Drafting Hatch.  Even better, a Model hatch could be applied to the triangulated surfaces and the user could be offered the option to align or rotate the pattern per triangle or as a "best fit" globally.

jkidder
Collaborator

Topography should behave the same as other elements and allow per view control (via templates, filters, model category and element overrides) of the surface color and cut view of the topography.  Some views need the topo to be white, others full color, others transparent or muted.  The cut pattern should be controlled by the material/filter, not in the topo settings.

akesh
Enthusiast

Could we have better Topography Editing tools built into Revit.  I remember there was the Toposurface Editing add-In which Revit has now stopped, never got the hang of that add-in.

Please expand on the Massing & Site Tab (or break away the Site tab completely from the Massing tools to accommodate for these extra expansion functions).  We end up spending a lot of time editing the topography to get platforms or levels correct, site retaining walls, banks, boundary walls/fences, driveway gradients to comply with regulations, terraces, and so much more which many other users can perhaps expand on, only to have the site design changed by the client.

It gets frustrating spending so much time on editing the topography to get it correct, because these need to reflect correctly in relation to our building views and our designs.

Please look into this expansion of the Site tool.  Keep in mind, it needs to be of ease to use.  I know many if not all users will truly appreciate this, I certainly will.

Tags (3)
lionel.kai
Advisor

This API addition would help with tool creation (would help with creating retaining walls, etc.) since Autodesk isn't likely to improve anything soon: Split Topography Method

wr.marshall
Advisor

Topography also need the ability to overlap whereby you will have a upper topography like a cliff with a negative angle for the "vertical face"  over the lower portion of topography  Lower Topography ---> ___\````` <--- Upper Topography

You will also need the ability to cut out volumes for tunnels, basements and pools...

m.steffannoe
Enthusiast
A way to implement soil layers in Revit would be essential too. This way deep foundations could be optimized. And shown in drawings.
wr.marshall
Advisor
Another thing, though not exactly topography, but probably fall under topography, is the possibility to schedule pavers & tarmac roads as used in large residential developments and commercial projects. This could probably even be used when creating grass areas in a garden. The soil layer mentioned above probably go hand in hand with this function.
mail
Contributor
Beyond that, topography should be easier to create and also easier to import Civil 3D files. I have yet to get a Civil 3D file from an engineer that works without a ton of back and forth.
alan_eu
Collaborator
The possibility of walls, floors, roofs and everything else to be attached o Toposurface are so necessary!
RPTHOMAS108
Mentor

Th main purpose of topography is to represent ground level around a site (imported from survey data) so you can develop built environment site levels. You can't really have a hollow in topography because topography has a very specific meaning, it's top or it's not. 

However (being self contradictory) I like the soil layers idea. From bore hole logs we should be able to plot and extrapolate between points. Geological features rarely have abrupt changes within the scale of your average site model. Probably at each point there should be the option for further lower levels.

I think there is room for improvement in terms of how pads could be allowed to overlap. Why not just say the lower of the two takes precedence in being a cut rather than the one over it being a fill (for the bottom one to exist it has to be a cut first). Also tagging support for these topo items was quite poor (non-existant) last time I used them, not sure if this is still the case?

nickcurtisgba
Contributor

I'm an architect at an AE firm with Civil in-house.  One of our workflows is to utilize the Civil3D publish surface, and then link the surface in to the Revit Site Model.  In this case, it would be helpful if Civil 3D could (easily) export portions of surfaces as corresponding Revit Categories (ie Road, Curb, Grade) (yes I know some of those categories don't exist yet).  This way the Architect's workflow on the receiving end to produce quality site plans and renderings would be more streamlined.  This would fall in line with Autodesk's goal of aligning datatypes between programs.

mail
Contributor
That would be great. I'll have to try the publishing idea. Thanks.

Erik
nickcurtisgba
Contributor

I also agree with @alan_eu about attaching floors/slabs/roofs to a Toposurface.  A User could follow this process when hosting a Floor (or Slab, Roof) to Topography:

a)Inherit Toposurface Points:

-Interior Points:  The Floor inherits interior points (XYZ) from the host Toposurface.

-This results in the Floor surface following the Toposurface faces exactly

OR

b)Specify Points:

-Interior Points:  User specifies interior points X/Y locations.  Initial Z value is inherited from current Host Toposurface.

-This option should notify the user when the topo changes and give them the option to update or not (similar to Wall by Face).

Note, in all cases:

1. Boundary Point X/Y values are dictated by boundary line segment ends. Initial Z value is inherited from current Host Toposurface.

2. All points, Boundary or Internal:  Z values may be edited after hosting.  When editing the floor shape, and upon selecting a point, the user could specify the point's Z location using any of the following:

a)As an offset from the Host Toposurface Z-Elevation at that Point's XY.

b)As an absolute value (relative to Sea Level)

c)Relative to a specified Level (ie. Level 01, Level 02 etc.).

Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report