Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag Revit Links

Tag Revit Links

Now that we can schedule Revit Links it would be great if we were able to tag them! This helps when working on a multi-building project where we need to tag the properties of the links. 

17 Comments

Hi All,

People normally uses links in order to contain individual 'units', 'house types' or bedroom types' (hotel projects) contained and it makes easy to create instances with individual visibility graphics.

In a project with multiple apartments, for instance you can schedule elements within links, use multi-category schedules to include information from links, but it is not possible to tag the name of links nor the name of the link instance.

Only individual elements hosted within the linked Revit files can be tagged, but not the whole link, which is very annoying specially if you need to annotate in plans and sections.

Tags (5)
jkidder
Collaborator

I agree, we can finally schedule links and add project parameters to them, but we still can't tag them or filter by them, and it's very frustrating.

krzystoff
Advocate

You can tag elements in linked files already.  You can also use TAB to tag nested elements within the linked file.

ssethi
Explorer

Thank you. But that is not what I am suggesting. In 2018 you can add parameters to Revit Links. So each of my links is a unique building and name and I want to be able to tag each building (Rvt Link) with the parameters that I have added. But there is no tag that will recognize the Revit Link itself. That is why I am asking for a tag that will recognize these parameters.

Dhanjeetsah
Contributor
It would be great to Tag the linked model on its own using RVT links property. This will be helpful if you have same type of house linked as multiple instances in a project. Currently you can only tag individual elements from a linked model. Revit 2018 on wards will allow you to create schedule RVT links and assign custom parameter that is helpful but we are unable to use it as Tag.
Tags (3)
muhammad.rezaBHE8Z
Community Visitor

This is important!

tomek
Collaborator

Bump bump! Let's have this already please. Low hanging fruit... remember Autodesk? It's literally so low it's on the ground. You juyst have to bend down a little and pick it up. Mmmmm, tasty, ripe for eating right now. You wait any longer and it will turn bitter. We'll still eat it but it will always have a bad aftertaste.

Would be really useful if the link parameters could be used in tags, e.g. door and window tags (think door 02 from unit 5 having tag "D5-02" )

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

akesh
Enthusiast

This has been something that I think is long overdue.  Revit is a BIM tool.  So this function needs to be implemented as soon as possible = that being the ability to TAG a Linked Revit Model.

This is not to tag the element categories from a linked Revit model, that can already be done.  This is to tag an actual Revit Link and the properties that come with it.  "RVT Links" can be scheduled, yes, HOWEVER it is very limited in terms of the available fields:

Count, Name, Room Bounding, Type.

Although more Fields can be added to the schedule, we need a little more than just these fields.  These need to be TAGGED, bringing us to: There needs to be a Tag Type for Revit Links.  This tag is specifically to tag a Revit Link, and NOT meant to tag the components/elements from that link.

The idea is this; we have multiple Revit Linked instances of a Building Type linked in.  On our layout plans, we have no automated method of tagging a linked Revit model to display the links Name, or its Survey Point/Project Base Point Elevations, or the NS/EW coordinate position of that link, or any shared parameter of that linked instance perhaps.  These are valuable data which needs to reflect on such a layout view by Tagging a Revit Link Instance and displaying these parameters.  If the link is positioned via shared coordinates, the instances' shared coordinate position (i.e. Survey Point/Project Base Point Elevations, NS/EW coordinate position, True North Angle) can be scheduled and tagged.  This type of tag shall only highlight a Revit Link and not target any component element from that link.

So, with this being a live automation, when a linked instance changes its' position, the tag and schedule is automatically updated.  This is a function we really require to be added into Revit, as currently, we are having to place manual text which is not live so this means all these test have to be manually edited should a link change position or name, and this opens room for major error.

Tags (5)
XXalessio.amodioXX
Collaborator

Linked model elements can be tagged

akesh
Enthusiast

@XXalessio.amodioXX Not talking about linked model elements, yes that can be tagged, as explained in my post.  It is the actual Revit Link which I am talking about.

MichaelWolff
Advisor

@kimberly.fuhrman will this be a bugfix for Revit 2018? When is this due? (Your post is a couple of months old) I think this this topic was reopened recently by someone else: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/tagging-revit-linked-models/idi-p/10504751.

MichaelWolff
Advisor
kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @MichaelWolff ,

Unfortunately we can't say "when" an feature will be released or if it will be retroactive. Here is a link to the item on the Revit Public Roadmap where you can also add your vote. I can combine the new post with this one, also. Items on the Roadmap are currently under development...it may take one development cycle, or it may take five development cycles or more to come to fruition. It all depends on our available resources and priorities. But, it is actively under development at this time. I know...I dislike vague answers, too, but that's all I know. 😊

Kimberly

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We are pleased to say that this has been implemented in Revit 2023! Thank you for your contribution to improving Revit!

-The Factory

norbert_palumbo
Participant

Great idea!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report