Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print using a sheet or revision schedule

Print using a sheet or revision schedule

Wish there was a way to print based on what sheets are showing up on the drawing list. We could accomplish this in dynamo but i feel like it would be something everyone would want to do all the time.

59 Comments
msulli11
Explorer
So you've tweaked the parameters/filters/sort to get your sheet index in the right order, and displaying only the sheets you want. Wouldn't it be nice to print a combined PDF based on that schedule?
Tags (1)
JADAstudio
Collaborator

This is almost a daily frustration for me. I'd love to see something like this implemented.

lionel.kai
Advisor

We need control over print order, no matter the source. I wouldn't mind if it was just a separate dialog/tab that comes up after you select the sheets (since we don't usually make a sheet schedule anyway) - manual control similar to how the USELESS Batch Print Add-In does it (except with the ability to drag groups of sheets, like Acrobat's "Combine Files" dialog, instead of having to single-click groups up and down), but if you ALSO had the options to "print by schedule" (to select which sheets and sort order) or "print by parameter" (to choose a Sheet-associated parameter to sort by) that would be better (especially for larger projects).

EDIT: All this, of course, would enable us to create a combined PDF without loosing the link functionality introduced in 2015 R2. Our current WORKAROUND is to print individual PDFs and then use Acrobat's "Combine Files" since it's easier to change the order with that dialog than it is to drag thumbnails around in the finished PDF. However, combining individual PDFs into one causes the links to be lost.

SamBerk
Advocate

It will be nice to have the ability to apply the sorting & groping from the browser organisation to the print set, to allow as to control on witch order i want to print my sheets , because some times i have to print 2 set of sheets like demolition plans and construction plans

Tags (1)
mfickett
Explorer

Let us choose from any drawing list (schedule) in the model when printing, and print these sheets in the order shown.  We go to a lot of work to use many parameters and filters to create and manage drawing lists; let us use those in the print dialogue instead of managing separate printing sets.

lionel.kai
Advisor
NateBrush
Advocate

Problem: Plot Order limitations. It is not possible to set custom plot order information.

Solution 1: Allow plot order to be governed by a sheet list. Users can add a parameter to put the sheets in order and Revit searches the schedule, if it finds a user created parameter it does nothing, if it finds the Sheet Number parameter, it issues the print command.

Solution 2: Integrate support for National CAD Standards sheet order.

amber
Community Visitor

Solution 1 would be much more versatile than Solution 2.

Solution 3: add the ability to plot sheets in the order they currently appear in the project browser.

craigh_bim
Advocate

There are a few sheet order printing plugins available for free. Check them out.

zrohlfs23F92
Contributor
How is it that AutoCAD is more feature rich than Revit when it comes to many things such as this? Why do we have to waste time finding these items when Autodesk should be getting this fixed for us. We pay them absorbent amounts of money.
amber
Community Visitor

Meanwhile at Autodesk headquarters, someone is mopping the lobby floor with your subscription fee.

andrew.beazley
Participant

Agree with having the ability to group/sort sheets in the print dialogue. We find it difficult to set up print sets when there are so many sheets to scroll through. We may have 100s of drawings and it gets hard selecting the correct ones. If this could reflect the sorting/grouping applied in the project browser that would be a massive help.

Alternatively, if you could multi-select sheets in the project browser and have a right click option to add to a print set or create a new print set, that would be a big help.

ciaran.lynch
Community Visitor

Also the ability to hide certain sheets from appearing in the print dialogue window. For instance sheets that have "appears in sheet list" unticked. Would be great not to see these in the print list.

In the project browser we see the sheet list and the view list as a tree, which works pretty handy. However, when we have to plot something, this doesn't work out... it is one dull list...

Can't we have it the same way, perhaps even with a possibility to select all the sheets on a branch of the tree to plot in one action?

craigh_bim
Advocate

While we're at it, can we have the Print / Print Range selection reduce down to only the sheets in the set? Sheets and View can be turned off in bulk. But, can we have unchecked sheets in a set disappear from the dialogue? I don't want to see sheets that are not selected. This can be a achieved with a check box.

Example: "(check) (uncheck) Display Set Sheets Only"

Thank you for your consideration.

erobertspwn
Explorer

It would be really helpful and time saving to be able to print sheets by revision cloud. For instance, if I wanted to print all sheets that had a revision cloud delta 2 on them, I could select that option and it would weed out the sheets that did not have that revision cloud on them. This helps when it comes to construction administration and sending out ASI's and RFI's and change orders.

bsegafredo
Contributor

This is one of those things that should have been added about a dozen versions ago!  Revit has made the revision tools powerful, but has neglected a very simple thing. This needs to change ASAP! 

NateBrush
Advocate

I agree that printing from a sheet index makes the most sense and should be the easiest to implement. As an MEP firm, we have to waste a lot of time re-ordering pdfs for each submittal. Printing from a sheet index would save each discipline a lot of time. We don't usually make sheet indexes, but we would if they could govern print order.

upwall_design
Participant

Agreed, I made a Dynamo Graph that creates a viewset for current revision as a work around.

pieter7
Advisor

Indeed, having the option to use the same organization schemes as we have in the project browser is vital. 

A searchfield would be nice as well!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report