Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More control over element visibility in the family editor

More control over element visibility in the family editor

Currently in the family editor an elements detail level visibility is controlled seperately from it's view specific display.  What I'd like to have is the ability to control what detail levels it shows up in in each view.  For example, one modeled element I might want to only show up in 3d view at medium and fine scales, but only in elevation at fine view and never in plan views.  Currently I'd either have to have ( and control) duplicates of the element or decide that the visibility in one type and scale of view should suffer.

Element Visibility Proposed.png

2 Comments
jkidder
Collaborator

As a follow up to this request, one of the reasons that model elements need to be able to be turned off in 3d is to have graphics correct in sections and views not parallel to the element, as well as 3d views.

One of our families (a planting family) has modeled elements representing the tree in plan view, and others representing the tree in 3d/elevation.  The elements representing the plan views (symbolic lines don't work because they can't cast shadows) are turned off in all elevation views.  However, if the element or section is rotated Revit uses it's 3d representation rather than an elevation representation, and therefore displays incorrectly.  Subcategories have to be applied, and managed in every template/view to not show this error, which is time consuming, frustrating and error prone, especially for families that aren't regularly used, and elements that consultants would like to display correctly.

Elevation view error.PNG

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators