Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure in 3D

Measure in 3D

I would like to be able to use the measure tool in 3D views. For reference: EXACTLY the same way as in SketchUp. 

52 Comments

In addition, it would be interesting to allow the measuring of angles using the measure tool.

Click 3 points and voila.

Anonymous
Not applicable

During modelling phase, we may sometimes need to a specific edge to edge spacing/ distance between to two elements ( such as supports, ducts, sockets, lights, switches, cable trays or equipments) , if we can measure them in Revit 3D view directly same as like it is possible in navisworks..then it is helpful for modelling phases.

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

There's a tool called "Path of Travel" on the Revit Roadmap

http://blogs.autodesk.com/revit/2019/01/23/revit-public-roadmap-january-2019/

listed as Planned that might be what yo're looking for

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it might get resolved by that tool. Thanks for sharing the link.

Tupaia
Advocate

Hi!

Hope this bl**dy thing is coming in v2020...

Doing a lot of mass modelling at the moment, which I do in a 3D view. Not having a simple measure tool here is a workflow brake.

Thanks!

blarsen7W9W9
Contributor

Its been three years since this was under review...  Nice speed and response time, Autodesk.  Way to support your customers!  We appreciate it!  Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Frustrated

Tupaia
Advocate

Revit 2020 still does not have this!? Aw, come on...!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use the Measure Tool in 3D View.

Why is this not possible?

Tags (2)

Lock the view, then you can add dimensions.

Wile your waiting for Autodesk to add this function:)

lukas-tunka
Contributor

Here is a similar idea with more kudos, vote for it or merge it together.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/measure-in-3d/idi-p/6336588

Anonymous
Not applicable

Checking a measure in 3D views is a very basic functionality ... it's incredible is still missing...

As a developer, I can say, yes, there is a simple 'solution' dated back in 2011 showing it's possible to mimic something similar, but the problem is you must select a plane before taking the points, and if the two points (or three for an angle) are not on the same (easy selectable) plane, the procedure is quite clumsy... pick plane, pick point, pick plane, pick point...

So, to Autodesk API developers: it'd be great if you could add an option to the PickPoint() method or add a new PickGlobalPoint() method that will allow user to select a point on a 3d view using snaps and returning its absolute global position.

This will come handy for a number of uses, while the need to select a plane will obviously remain for the functions that need to place planar objects, like dims.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When are we going to get this feature?

LyleHardin
Advisor

I'll add my 53 cents. Yes! A measuring tool is needed in 3D views. I understand dimensioning not being available, but a simple measure tool would be extremely helpful. I'm constantly going up to that measure tool only to see it greyed out. Very frustrating.

paolomod3nese
Enthusiast

Don't wanna spam this thread but we made a 3D Measuring tool for Revit guys, check it out if you feel so inclined:

https://camilion.eu/en/apps/3DMeasure/

Cheers,

Paolo

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Congratulations! We are updating this thread to Gathering Support. We are continuing to evaluate where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

LyleHardin
Advisor

Good to hear!

It is so frustrating not to be able to do this.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@Anonymous  I came across this post today searching for something else. I was curious to see if you have used the now-implemented Path of Travel tool for your scenario?

Thank you!

Kimberly

zsombokdavid
Participant

Just started using Revit 2021 (!). So, you are kidding I cannot check the distance between two faces in 3D, right?! (Maybe I accidentally bought Revit '99 or something....)

paolomod3nese
Enthusiast
Well actually you can with the 3DMeasure plugin. Check out camilion.eu
danny.lewisA9QBW
Advocate

For everyone suggesting to use sketch-up or navisworks as a reference of a 'good 3d measuring tool'.... Autodesk SHOULD just base the tool upon the latest Autodesk Inventor measuring tool which is by far the easiest to use. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators