Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level/Spot Elevation that can read both Project Base Point and Survey Point

Level/Spot Elevation that can read both Project Base Point and Survey Point

It would be incredibly helpful to update Levels and Spot Elevations to have the ability to show alternate units - similar to dimensions - that can read from both the Project Base Point and Survey Point. For example, if the Project Base Point is set to be 102' above the Survey Point, the label could show:

0' - 0" (+102.00')

or something along these lines.

15 Comments
FinearcLtd
Advocate

Sophisticated Level tagging is needed. Being able to refer level tags in plan to several floor layers (top and bottom of concrete, top of concrete and top of tiling, etc.)Level tagging that shows relation to survey base point and project base point together. Both is plan and in section. Currently some of these are impossible to create and in other cases it is required to create them separately. Revit can do better!

BethanyPritchard
Enthusiast

Just to be clear, Autodesk what we need is for level heads to be able to display BOTH the project base point elevation and the survey point elevation in the same tag.  Currently the settings in the level system family force us to choose elevation base to be one or the other.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some projects require seeing both the project and survey elevation at the same time for construction. This should be made available for levels, with a prefix and suffix option for both project elevation and survey elevation. Inputing survey elevations as text increases error if any changes are made during the design process. 

eramoy
Contributor

I agree that this feature should be added to Revit.

However, here's a not terrible workaround I'm using. I've added a calculated parameter to the tag for the survey elevation. This adds the survey elevation at project 0 to the project elevation at any tag. You need to change the calculation in each project, but once it's in a project, it will calculate all the surveys automatically and is unlikely to change (unless you change where project 0 is).

samuelsanf
Advisor
samuelsanf
Advisor

Totally agree!

tolga.isikyildiz
Contributor

I use two exact same elevation tags for this, one reads height from the survey 0.00*,  other from the project O.00. Then place one of each exact on top and adjust bracets and offset values so they appear as desired. Generally, it shouldnt be done for all the elevations, just a few would be enough.

*(Survey elevation tag might had been done without elevation sign, but then you may loose where it is dedicated to.)

But still this would be a good improvement. 

jan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Many (most) of our projects require tracking both the absolute elevation (eg Above Sea Level) AND the relative elevation (to ground level). Revit offers a great way to set up both those references, where the Survey Origin sits at absolute survey zero (eg sea level) and the Project Base Point sits at the project's ground level. However, Levels (and for that matter Spot Elevations), do not allow tracking both those references in a single Level marker. The 'Elevation Base' Type Parameter decides which, and there is no second/alternate option.  

I bet there are Revit-apologists out there who claim that this should not be possible for one or the other reason. I'm not even going to go there. 

I also know there are workarounds: (1) adding a Spot Elevation to each marker in each view (no thank you), (2) duplicating Levels (not a chance in hell), or (3) adding a Shared Parameter to the Level Heads for tracking the second reference and using a Dynamo script to populate the values.

This last workaround is what we currently do, but as we know pushing values through a button/script is no substitute for Revit live-updating those values and letting our designers focus on other things.

jan_1-1631888619455.png

Tags (4)
kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @jan ,

Here are some similar Ideas:

Levels Project and Survey Elevation - Autodesk Community

Level/Spot Elevation that can read both Project Base Point and Survey Point - Autodesk Community

Level tagging - Autodesk Community

I'll work on combining these to give the votes a boost!

Thank you for your Idea submission!

-Kimberly

jan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hm, I did check if someone had already posted this, but it didn't show up. thanks Kimberly!

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@jan  You're welcome! 😊

mmarcarelliNX
Contributor

@kimberly.fuhrman thanks for consolidating all of these ideas into one. Does Autodesk see this as an idea with (currently) 62 Votes, or 87 Votes (62+20+4+1) ??

Has there been any development with this issue? Thanks!

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @mmarcarelliNX ,

The 62 votes includes the 20, 4 and 1. Votes are merged when the posts are merged. Hope this helps!

-Kimberly

Michael_Buttery
Explorer

In addition to showing multiple datums I would add the ability to use the View Associated Level, or the Reference Element (tag host) Level as datums.

This would be very useful when documenting local falls in floors, roofs, ramps etc.

EDIT: This can be done by setting the Type Elevation Base to 'Internal Origin' which then allows the relative base be set on a per instance basis

nicoleYYMWH
Community Visitor

It is currently impossibly to have a level head reflect both an elevation from project zero and a survey elevation. We have to manually add this in on every project. We would ideally like our level heads to say the project elevation then survey elevation in parentheses with a plus sign like this: +10'-0" (+250'.00). This requires having flexibility to change unit rounding, unit type and prefixes and suffixes for both types of elevations. 

A workaround is to use the spot elevation tool, but this cannot add both a prefix and a suffix (why???) as a type parameter, only an instance parameter, and having adding them on each elevation point cancels out the time savings. Please update both. There are instances where I would like to use the spot elevation to reference both elevations in that same format as well.

Tags (4)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators