Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grids Not Showing If Not Perpendicular To Elevation

Grids Not Showing If Not Perpendicular To Elevation

It seems column grids do not show up if the grids are not perpendicular to the view. Can we look into implementing this?

11 Comments
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

That's kind of impossible.

A Grid is not a line, it's a plane. And if it's not perpendicular, where along that plane would it show? 

At the near end? Far End, Cut plane? Wall Face?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the comment. The column grid is a reference to a structural element. Just because the elevation is not orthogonal to the grid doesn't mean the grid/structural element should not be showing (the column is still there). If the grid is a plane, then the view would still intersect the plane (at an angle). Whether the view intersects at an angle or 90 degrees, the grid should show. As far as the location, why couldn't the grid show up at the intersection of the structural element?

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

I guess we'll just have to disagree.

A grid is not "a reference to a structural element".

It is a reference to several structural elements. If there are three columns along Grid A that all show in the elevation, which one would you choose? Please don't say all of them. That sound like a disaster waiting to happen.

And lets not talk about placing dimensions on those grids.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol I appreciate your honesty and feedback! At this day and age, I would assume we could figure this out. Placing one elevation on a sheet that shows grids and another elevation that doesn't seems inconsistent. Open to suggestions!
richardbeatson
Contributor

I think I have to agree with dplumb on this one. Grids are plains and if you are not viewing perpendicular to that plane then placing it does not make any sense. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks richardbeatson for commenting. The idea is purely based on the need to show grids because at the end of the day, I have to provide a set of drawings that's provides the necessary information to the owner/contractor. If the grids are planes and the view intersects the plane, then why wouldn't the intersection cause the grids to show? The only difference between the other views is that the intersection is at a 90 degree angle.
richardbeatson
Contributor

Perhaps you would like to upload a sketch/drawing in plan showing where your steels / grids are, and also the location of your view. Would you be able to do that?

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Here's my point of view, as simply as I can show it.

Where should the Grid be displayed? At the intersection of the View PLane? At A, At B?

For that matter, which grid? Would Grid B or Grid 1 be shown on the left column?

What Dimension should be placed between the two columns?

Columns.PNG

Here's a better idea for you:

You can create a Structural Column Tag that displays the "Column Location Mark" parameter, which specifics the two grids that intersect where the column is placed.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for posting the example dplumb. I see your argument and thank you for your suggestion of the structural column tag. I'll give that a shot.
chauh
Enthusiast

You can cheat the system by using a segmented grid. Place a small portion of the grid to be perpendicular to the view right at the edge of your view line/wall/cut line.

2022-03-08 13_56_43-Greenshot.png

Be aware that any view that encompasses the part of the grid that is perpendicular to the view will show up at that specific location. 

Thanks.

preetham_kaja
Contributor

Hello everyone, as shown in the picture below, in option -1, we made a cross-section grid that is visible in straight condition. Option 2 for inclined wall shows grid - 1 in plan view but not visible in section view. In Autocad, dimensions vary based on plan, but in Revit, at least one identical grid element representation is displayed.

I believe Autodesk Revit should investigate and incorporate this detail.    

Option -1.JPG

Option -2.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators