Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Rid of "Too Small On Screen" when moving something

Get Rid of "Too Small On Screen" when moving something

I can understand not letting me DRAW a new object that is below a certain threshold.  But WHY-OH-WHY do you make it so that I can't MOVE something a minute distance?

Because of this limitation, I usually end up moving my object well outside of the range and then move it to where I REALLY want it. 

21 Comments
chris.cromer
Contributor

Yes, this happens ALL THE TIME!  Revit should have the same accuracy as AutoCAD.

Joris.vd.Meulen
Collaborator

The existince of this limitation has always puzzled me. So: a good suggestion!

Pro tip:

when moving: use the numeric keyboard to move distance smaller than 0.7mm. 

> select object

> MV

> type 0.3

taddaaaaa object moved by 0.3 mm.

(don't ask me why, I'm just happy it works).

Joris.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.  

The Factory

sburca
Advocate

Another workaround: you can select object and use the arrow keys. The distance of the move is dependent on your zoom.

Not ideal, but a workaround. Still agree with the request - don't understand these limitations. If there's a legitimate reason, at least allow the rules to be suspended for us OCD folks... 🙂

doni49
Mentor
The only (almost) legitimate reason I can think of is that the move method takes the distance and direction as arguments. But it needs to take 2 point coordinates (from PT and to PT) instead.

The term "method" is a technical term used in Object Oriented Programming.
pieter5
Advisor

One of our architects was complaining about it today again (and understandably so). Let's hope this one gets accepted soon.

austin_moorarch
Advocate

The workarounds are okay but don't address when you are attempting to snap to a point only to be told that it it's too close to move. Especially frustrating when trying to close a loop like a fill pattern. Takes extra steps to move the item farther away just to be able to snap to the point.

jalexanderM3YHL
Community Visitor

The workarounds are not ok. The "move a short distance can't do it" is a bug. I worked at a 3D software company in support for 8 years. No way this is as expected. If I tried to respond on a public forum that an issue like this wasn't a bug I would have been shot down by my colleagues and the user/customers and rightly so. There is not one good reason that explains something like this. (modeling yes, moving no) We pay more than good money for these programs, AUTODESK. Please correct this bug. Or, if it is more to your liking, please provide a "turn off minute distance hampering feature" checkbox.

Sorry for the snarky text, but I have had enough of this error message.

Best,

John A

c.alves.arq
Participant

This is a huge problem when creating symbols! Please fix it!

emanuela.agent
Contributor

This shouldn't even happen when modelling. Sometimes we need to model more complex shapes (like profiles) and we need the accuracy. Shifting from AutoCAD to Revit is a bummer in this respect. I want to be accurate in my model and I can't because of this, I need to modify shapes in order to be able to model certain elements. 

krzystoff
Advocate

After all these years this is still such a PITA:

too short.png

pieter5
Advisor

Good news, the developers are getting rid of this message (see new roadmap post here: http://blogs.autodesk.com/revit/2018/09/14/revit-public-roadmap-september-2018/)

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

As Pieter mentioned, we've added this Idea to the Revit roadmap. Congrats and thanks for posting your idea!

aaronBWC
Enthusiast

Fixed in 2019.2. Thank you Autodesk for listening!

pieter5
Advisor

A very welcome update! Big thanks to the developers!

Joris.vd.Meulen
Collaborator

2019.2 Can't wait to test it on Monday!

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Excited to mark this one as implemented! This improvement is now available starting in Revit 2019.2.

Joris.vd.Meulen
Collaborator

@sasha.crotty hell yeah!

Atafs
Enthusiast

That would be nice

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report