Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix the right click

Fix the right click

Please, for the love of all that is holy and sacred, please fix the right-click function. So that when an element is selected and you right click, it brings up the right-click menu and does not de-select the element that is currently selected and select another element.

Why does right-click even have the ability to select an element? Is the thought process that you can hover the cursor on an element to pre-select it, and use right-click to select it AND bring up the right-click menu with just on click? Ooooh, how clever... 

It's a poorly thought out function. When you have an element selected and right-click to bring up the menu, you have to ensure that your cursor is solely on the element, or in blank space. And since Revit so strongly wants to pre-select elements that are not even visible, it's very often aggravating to right-click and loose the current selection because Revit selected another element. Especially when you have multiple elements selected. 

9 Comments
mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

I get your frustration, but this does seem like a preference thing rather than a hard rule that should be changed, so maybe it should be an added option instead of a hard coded feature.

And just a question, but do you deactivate "Select Elements by Face"? The selection (or not selecting) elements is a lot easier to manage with that turned off.

mpukas
Collaborator

I do not have "Select Elements by Face" selected. I use that function selectively, and it's always off unless I need it for a certain circumstance. 

There are countless instances where having right click de-select selected element(s) because the right-click select takes priority. Right-click should only bring up a menu, whether or not element(s) are selected, not select element(s). The issues are amplified by Revit's cursor inaccuracy. To compare and contract, ACAD's cursor is dead-on accurate. Where you place the cursor is exactly where an element will be highlighted and selected. Revit's cursor varies greatly, and it's never consistent or clear as to where the cursor needs to be to highlight and select and element. 

There are too many instances to list where Revit prioritizes highlighting and selecting elements that are not visible, but one is selecting walls and foundations below grade, or "through" a toposurface / toposolid. 

a_kralkay
Advocate

Every single time I try to disallow join on a wall end I run into this problem. You have to select the wall first in order for the blue grip dot to appear so you can right click on it. But then the right click selects something else other than that wall even though the blue dot highlights when hovering over it. I always end up having to temporary isolate the wall in order to not get catfished by the right click.

mpukas
Collaborator

@a_kralkay what you've described is exactly one of the many issues I run into constantly with right deselecting the current element and selecting something else. One fix I have to use is drag the wall grip away from it's intersection so that there is nothing else in the vicinity that Revit can select instead of bringing up the right click menu, and then extend / fillet / trim the wall back to where is was. 

dbobber
Advocate

Yup i run into this issue handling wall groups in a buildings. right clicking is weird.. 

Ilic.Andrej
Advisor

Get rid of the annoying selection by right clicking. I need the right click to disallow the join of wall ends, not to select the surrounding element. Why do I have to isolate elements 200 times per day just to manipulate the joins? 

Tags (1)
AMillarSOA
Contributor

Right-click selecting items would be fine if it just obeyed what is currently highlighted...  Which it does not most of the time.

As noted, and as shown in @Ilic.Andrej 's video, this is particularly prevalent when trying to right-click wall grips, the grip will highlight and then right-click will still select a different object than is highlighted.

mpukas
Collaborator

Here's another example: I have a PDF image of a County GIS map view loaded into a site plan view as a background for design purposes. The image has large extents. If I select any design elements in the building model, or Detail Lines that I'm using in the design process, and Right-Click WITHIN the extents of the PDF image to bring up the Right-Click Menu, revit will deselect whatever elements I have currently selected, select the PDF image and simultaneously open the right-click menu for the PDF image. I have to ensure that when I right-click, I am outside the extents of the PDF image, as well as not pre-selecting any other element, to open the right-click menu for the elements currently selected. 

PLEASE! Just make the left click the selection and right click open the right-click menu, and stop making the right click selection. 

MichaelWolff
Advisor

I would re-vote this at once, but I seem to have done so already. Still while waiting for anything to happen, users may try to use the keyboard version of their right mouse button which looks like a context menu.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report