Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easily change hosted family to non hosted family

Easily change hosted family to non hosted family

Hi,

I would like the ability to be able to turn off and on element hosting in the family editor.

Say change a door family that hosts into a wall into one that can be placed anywhere.

This should be a check box in the family editor.

26 Comments
jkarben
Advocate

Ideally this would also include changing the orientation of the family too. Example: changing a faced based electrical wall panel, which is modeled horizontally, to the vertical position and make it un-hosted. 

mayurpawar082
Community Visitor

We can do it for some hosts not all. 

emmanoelneri
Enthusiast

It would be really cool to change the host of an existing family. For example: transform wall-based(ceiling...) families in face-based family. Or even in non-hosted families

Tags (1)
bimarqasia008
Community Visitor

Well, in version 2023 Autodesk has still not bothered to respond. They don't have to, because you don't have a choice but to use their product.

ks2_wmb
Advocate

All I want is to be able to Copy/Monitor every single category.  When I convert my Casework family into a Light Fixtures family, I lose all the subcategories that I've assigned.

https://www.revit.news/2016/07/converting-wall-based-casework-to-face-based-in-revit/

ks2_wmb
Advocate

Okay, so what I did yesterday to convert my casework families:

1. I nested my wall-hosted casework inside of a wall-hosted light fixture family.
  2. I loaded the light fixture outer family into a small dummy project
  3. I loaded that project into an empty project
  4. I used copy/monitor to convert my outer light fixture family to a face-hosted family
  5. The nested casework families were also converted to face-hosted.

The common wisdom here is to convert your casework families directly to light fixtures, but then you lose the subcategory assignments of the family elements.  Using casework families nested inside a light fixture family, the casework families kept their subcategory assignments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report