Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Material and Assets

Duplicate Material and Assets

While in the Material Editor, in addition to Duplicate it would be helpful to have another option; Duplicate Material AND Assets. Maybe an intermediate dialog appears to prompt (with check boxes) for which assets (Appearance, Physical, Thermal) to duplicate. Often, we duplicate a material and then have to immediately, manually, duplicate the appearance asset so the original material does not get messed up.

12 Comments
ysautodesklover
Collaborator

I agree with the idea to have the option for duplicating materials with assets.

What I normally do is add to favorite once and add back to document material so that all assets will be transferred.

pieter1
Advisor

On duplicating, the default behavior should really be to duplicate everything (including all the assets).

An additional could be "duplicate with shared assets" (=the current behavior).

We accidentally link assets all the time (causing a lot of delays because people adjust one appearance asset, not realizing they're triggering a change in 5 other materials).

dan.stine
Advocate

Yes, Pieter's idea is even better!

Sophia9911
Autodesk

Hi Dan and everyone, so you are expecting that after duplicate the material, the new material assets were shared with original material?

dan.stine
Advocate

Hi Sophia,

I am not sure I completely understand your question. Currently, when we duplicate a material that Appearance asset is not duplicated and when we change it (asset), it also changes the original material. My Duplicate Material/Asset request would ideally duplicate the material and the appearance asset (but perhaps not duplicate physical and thermal assets). Thus, when I say "duplicate" appearance asset, I mean an exact copy of all the settings. The name could just be changed the same way as when an asset is duplicated now, manually... however, making it match the material name might be better. Does that answer your question? Other here may have different ideas... I would like to hear them.

pieter1
Advisor

I agree with Dan. This is what I would suggest:

When you rightclick a material, you have a submenu for duplicating with two options:

• Duplicate
  • Duplicate with shared assets

"Duplicate" will duplicate the material and duplicate all its assets. That way the user can make changes to the assets without ever having to worry they are affecting another material because the assets are linked.

"Duplicate with shared assets" will give you a popup dialog box that asks you what assets the new duplicated material should share with the original: appearance, physical, thermal. 

I would also add a "duplicate material" at the bottom of the dialog with the same two options. 

duplicate material mockup.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently Revit material browser does not automatically duplicate materials assets. For most Revit users this may result is a huge disappointment when they find out later that changing the new material assets have changed all other materials that share these assets. This new feature simply prompts the user when duplicating a material: Do you want to share or duplicate material assets (Yes/No)?

Tags (4)
kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Thank you for your Idea, @Anonymous ,

Here is a similar Idea. May I combine yours with this one?

Duplicate Material and Assets - Autodesk Community

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We are pleased to say that this has been implemented in Revit 2023! Thank you for your contribution to improving Revit!

-The Factory

dan.stine
Advocate

Thanks for the update... this is very exciting news! It was first on the list in my annual "What's New" article for Revit 2023:) https://bimchapters.blogspot.com/2022/04/revit-2023-check-out-my-new-aecbytes.html 

norbert_palumbo
Participant

Great idea!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators