Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Graphic Overrides

Duplicate Graphic Overrides

It would be great if when using the command "Duplicate View - Duplicate with Detailing" any graphic overrides that are active in the original view copied into the new one or there was an option to do so.

37 Comments
kunalwadhera
Enthusiast

I have attached 3 picture's to address the issue.

1) 1 image showing the original view or parent view.

2) 2 image showing the original view or parent view with override graphics in the highlighted area.

3) 3 image showing the duplicate view from the parent view with the same override graphics.view 1.PNGview 1 with override graphics.PNGview 1 duplicate.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
kunalwadhera i will admit i don't 100% understand what is going on with you example above however i know for sure any element specific graphic overrides i have applied do not duplicate
ralvarez1976
Enthusiast

Element graphic overrides most definitely come along when duplicating view with detailing.

kunalwadhera
Enthusiast

@Anonymous hi, I have attached 3 pictures in which I have shown you the graphic override taking place.

if you see the very first image in the highlighted portion that is a curtain wall, I changed its color in the 2 picture & then I did "DUPLICATE" of the view & the color of the curtain wall in the duplicated view i.e 3 image came along, hence when you duplicate a view you also duplicate graphic override.

@ralvarez1976 Hi, no matter if you do 'Duplicate' or 'Duplicate with detailing' in both the options the graphic override appears.

If u see in the images I provided that is done with 'Duplicate'.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kunalwadhera hi. i have done some more tests and it is inconsistent in what does and doesn't duplicate, eg. overrides to detail lines or filled regions do not copy over and revert to their original state. Be much more convenient if anything with an override duplicated as sometimes you do not want to create a whole new linetype or filled region if you simply want to change the for for example of 1 item. That's my opinion anyway

kunalwadhera
Enthusiast

@Anonymous i got your point now.

Sadly i the lines or filled regions will not be copied you have to either manually select the things you want to copy and paste them into your duplicated view or i prefer selecting everything and from the filter you can select the elements you want and simply copy paste them into your new views.

Anonymous
Not applicable

WORKAROUND ---

Duplicate as a dependent first, then right click and "Convert to independent view"

Linework overrides should be preserved.

laurenk
Advocate

Autodesk.. 

What was the result of your survey 3 years ago?

There has been a significant number of votes for this idea.

When does Autodesk get around to implementation?

Just want an option to duplicate with line work and view overrides.

It can't be that hard?

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

In an effort to consolidate threads, we are updating this thread to Gathering Support. We are continuing to evaluate where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

We are in the process of improving and consolidating the Revit Ideas. This is by no means a downgrade...simply part of our cleanup efforts. Rest assured that your Idea and feedback is valuable to our teams, and that your Idea will continue to be reviewed. 

The Factory

pieter1
Advisor

The workaround suggested by @Anonymous  works well, but only for plans and ceiling plans.  Drafting view, detail views, legends, 3d views,... all don't support dependent copies.

pieter1
Advisor

Oh and just to be clear:

- overrides on model elements (walls, doors, ...) are currently copied using "duplicate with detailing"

- overrides on annotation elements (dimensions, detail lines, text, filled regions...) are currently not copied using "duplicate with detailing"

candersonFG646
Enthusiast

A time consuming phenomenon i run into on every subsequent project is when a view contains element graphic overrides to change line patterns, weights, halftone tags or linework, and when i duplicate the view w/ detailing to reuse it the duplication process does not carry over element graphic overrides within the view. It would be very helpful and save alot of time if Revit would carry over element graphic overrides when duplicating views, rather than reset all elements in the entire view and be required to duplicate the element graphic override effort.

Tags (3)
cuddyUCMTK
Contributor

Make it so (Picard voice).

TB4
Contributor
Contributor

If you duplicate the view first "as dependent" and then "convert to independent view", at least your changes made with the Linework tool will carry over.

After a (very) quick test, the element-specific graphic overrides come along aswell (Revit 2020.2.4)

cuddyUCMTK
Contributor

I had not considered the method of duplicating as dependent then converting to independent view. This workflow does indeed produce the desired effect. While it would be very nice to have a "duplicate with graphic overrides" option, this workflow serves as a solid work-around.

TB4
Contributor
Contributor

I too would apreciate a more straight forward way to carry over all the graphic adjustments we need to make, but at least its a workaround with Not too many steps involved, for once...

scott.r.kennedy
Contributor

In Electrical we often do schematics in Revit in Drafting Views. For linework there is no need to use overrides because additional line types can be created. However for symbols the only way to change colour is to override in view. This works though it is not ideal. 

However the problem arises when the view needs to be duplicated if a variation of the schematic is required, then all the overrides are lost, and need to be re-done. So to save time it would be great to have a "Duplicate with Detailing with View Overrides" option

Tags (4)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators