Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display .rvt file version on the Open dialog

Display .rvt file version on the Open dialog

Many firms have some tricky naming scheme to figure out which version of Revit an .rvt file is created in.

If the version of the file was displayed in the Open dialog box, it would make it much less likely to attempt to open with the wrong version.

Revit must already be reading the .rvt to determine if it's a Central file or not, so why not grab the version while you're in there?

It could even color code the text to better warn you if you're about to upgrade a file or if it's in a newer version.

19 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also please see my post here for an idea for Revit to automatically open the correct revit version if you double click it.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

jaboone
Advocate

To be honest, we should know before we open the file so as to not start with the wrong version.  

CTC offers a very good tool for determining which version of a revit file before opening, but if we have a method to determine which version before we open the file would I think be much better.  I suggest to have a open from the windows explorer.

2017-09-08_7-37-45.jpg2017-09-08_7-39-58.jpg

ssimleness
Advocate

It would be nice if there was a version visibility option for Revit file types. So you know what a project was saved at before you open it.

Tags (2)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Idea! Selecting a revit file in the open file dialogue could parse the revit version.

samuelsanf
Advisor
Hello,

There is a similar idea that is actually marked as Accepted:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/display-rvt-file-version-on-the-open-dialog/idi-p/6364809
Anonymous
Not applicable

@samuelsanfthanks! voted for that one as well.

ssimleness
Advocate

Me too. Thank you Samuel.

I did a search and it didn't come up or i would have just voted that one up.

ssimleness
Advocate

I agree with Springfield. An option to to open with the file version or upgrade would be awesome. Could start from this version forward type of thing. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is fantastic! Couldn't agree more. Currently, my office is including the Revit version in the file name to prevent any mishaps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that this is really simple to do. Every windows file has a bunch of properties associated with it. All that needs to happen if for Revit to write a version property. Once that property is written it can be inspected by any software and displayed in some convenient way.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk

Hi Everyone,

In Revit 2019. we added the ability to see the version of the Revit file when it is clicked on in the open dialog.  We'd like your feedback if this new feature helps with this and what else is needed.  We know this doesn't fully address this idea, so we are keeping it as accepted.  

Thanks, 

The Factory

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! This is a small but very handy little improvement. Keep up the good works team!

cheers,

-tomek

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

r.robert.bell
Advocate

Hey Harlan, I hate to be a rainmaker on your "implemented" parade, but 2019.1 removed the ability to see the model version number. Do'h!

2018-09-17_10-31-06.png

harlan_brumm
Autodesk

hmmm, it is still there if you go to the "Open" button and browse for a file that way.  I take it you would like it to appear in the tool tip on Revit Home as well? :).  

r.robert.bell
Advocate

Ah... silly me. Probably would be a good idea to add it to the tooltip since an accidental open/upgrade of a model will make that model show in the recent files page. Not that this will fix "stupid", of course... 😉

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report