Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flattened curved elevations / sections

Flattened curved elevations / sections

When elevated, curved surfaces do not show the full length of the wall.  Moreover, graphics become skewed.  We would like to be able to wrap an elevation tight to the curvature of the wall so that the elevation appears to be a flattened out curve.  You could do this by offsetting a line from the curved wall and picking that line as the elevation path.

45 Comments
AnthonyViscusi
Advocate

Please also allow an option to include column grids which intersect the view depth to be displayed for reference.  I anticiapte that you might need to implement a "parallel offset view depth" option so the curved view cutplane and depth plane remain consistent.  Whichever grids intersect this cutplane would be rendered.  At least make them show up then we can element hide the ones we don't want to see.

Anonymous
Not applicable

to have the ability to create a curved section

GHASEM_ARIYANI
Advisor

Hello

It can not be a standard

But the technique can create mass
then join mass with revit elements.

curved section

Anonymous
Not applicable

When using revit for Structural build objects (Brudges/tunnels/and so on) there are many examples where the project demands an perpendicular view of some objects. For example the walls of a tunnel.

A example of why they want this is so they know where the cast-in items have to be.

Nowdays these drawings are still made by hand in autocad...

please.. support sections or elevations along an curved path. 

Tags (2)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revit has many features which are usefull for bridge design. It would be very usefull if it would be possible to create section along curve. According to many forum threads users are missing that feature also for other applications. Another idea is to implement tendons like rebar shape.

Following videos show the functions that I have in mind:

from 12:00

and

Tags (1)
pieter4
Advisor

This would aid immensely in CD phase with curved buildings. From a construction point people want to see the "flattened" version of a curved wall in elevation (otherwise one can't measure on it). In 2017 one still has to make those kind of views by hand, and that's a very tedious and time consuming task.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Advocate

‎05-19-2017 05:08 PM |

This would aid immensely in CD phase with curved buildings. From a construction point people want to see the "flattened" version of a curved wall in elevation (otherwise one can't measure on it). In 2017 one still has to make those kind of views by hand, and that's a very tedious and time consuming task.

"

exactly!

pieter4
Advisor

I'd like to add that it shouldn't be limited to just one curve. What we basically need it being able to make a section or elevation like a 'polyline' (that supports linear AND curved subsections). 

In Belgium, we call these types of elevations/sections 'flattened'. Basically, you project everything against a chosen polyline 'surface'. Right now, that's a fully manual job in cad, that takes a lot of man hours and has to be completely redone from scratch when there's a significant design change.

AHMED.ELNASHAR
Participant

To create sections using poly line or curved line/axis.

this will help in adding details - drawing extractions for model curved towers , cylinder stairs , block walls.

Tags (7)

For MEP "long sections" are a similar thing. This is the straightened out section along a pipe, even as it bends, so you can see its relationship to other pipes that pass over and along it and to the ground above. As per @pieter4, this requires a polyline path with linear and curved parts.

https://www.revitforum.org/mep-general/19710-long-section-long-profiles-section.html

bjoern_teutriene
Collaborator

This improvement would be very important for German Revit users. It is even very important for infrastructure projects for a representation along the longitudinal axis .

In the Revit Wishlist 2017 in Germany it ranked #8 out of 52 wishes. You can find more information on https://www.rug-dach.de/

darryl.klassen
Explorer

I agree.  If Revit really wants to get into the infrastructure game, these flattened curved sections are a must for bridge / tunnel projects.  I have been waiting for over 6 years for this one...and still waiting.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. we need this feature

@angela_bachetti wrote:

When elevated, curved surfaces do not show the full length of the wall.  Moreover, graphics become skewed.  We would like to be able to wrap an elevation tight to the curvature of the wall so that the elevation appears to be a flattened out curve.  You could do this by offsetting a line from the curved wall and picking that line as the elevation path.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why We Can't Take a Curve section?!!

Untitled.jpg

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

Because geometry

jdelaney_kearch
Contributor

We've been building curved stairs for centuries without curved sections. A curved section would only be a geometric abstraction anyway, and would probably confuse the contractor to no end.

YarUnderoaker
Collaborator

Instead of curved section may be better to do a wrapping surface, for example, room's bounding walls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure how a curved section would work if the view has any depth at all. The stairs beyond the section mark would have to ... there would be multiple vantage points ... looking in different directions at the same time... Wait! ... I think I finally understand Cubism! Thanks!

In all seriousness,  and I know this is Ideas not the Q&A forum, but this is when you use a drafting view to draw the stair run in section.

aloxford28
Participant

This is 100% needed for bridges.

BIMAbhi
Advisor

Curved section: Is it possible to draw a curved section in Revit in order to show curved walls and ramps.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report