Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material for cable tray and conduit

Material for cable tray and conduit

In the type properties of Cable Trays be able to set up the Material parameter.

When creating the Conduit Standard in MEP settings, have an option to set up the Material, like pipe segments.

19 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really need the ability to Create, Apply and controls MATERIALS for Conduits......We can apply Materials to System Families such as Walls, and External Families like Conduit Fittings................Why Can't we Apply Materials to System Family Conduits?

Mike

tony.crawford
Enthusiast

You can apply materials to conduits in the Object Styles dialog.  Is this what you are looking for? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

That does not give you the option to asing material by type

martybkk
Contributor

We have had a similar problem, wanting to send something to AUTODESK LIVE straight out of Revit and not been able to colour code the different service type of each conduit run makes the VR experience ordinary, it could be a lot better if we were able to apply materials to the different service types.

Kermit84
Participant

I agree with Mike.

material for cable pipes will be a very useful solution. I tried to add new project parameter that would add any material to the pipe type. The material has been assigned but is not displayed in revita and after being exported to ifc. Overwriting the view filter is not a good solution, because after the export everything is in the default color.

Autodesk has to add material assignments to different types of pipe systems, Revit is not a cheap program and the lack of this option limits it.

andir.keskin
Explorer

This would be extremely beneficial in my case. We design projects where sometimes we use colored cable trays. Not just during the design, they actually get painted and installed with a specified color. Having material parameter within cable trays would be extremely helpful for making more realistic 3D models.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes please add this functionality. Every revit element should have a material. 

_camuz_
Enthusiast

It seems this improvement is still not on Revit 2021. When Autodesk.... when!?!?!?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This feature is desperately needed for my current project. We are building a new company HQ and since we are a Technology contractor, the cable tray is on full display as part of the office design aesthetic. We are using white cable tray to match the white racks in the otherwise blacked-out server room. We are using steel wire mesh tray around the rest of the office (which will not be hidden above ceilings) so people can walk around and see the red, white, and blue bundles of cables running from the server room to each outlet.

My company recently purchased Revit because we realized we needed to start working within BIM to stay relevant. I have been building the new HQ in Revit as a learning exercise, but after showing the executive team the progress, they were very impressed and suggested we do a fly-through of the new office to display on our video wall. It's a shame there's no way to change the material for cable tray. For now, I am using the Object Style material override to make the cable tray look like steel wire mesh, but for the white ladder tray within the server room I guess I am going to have to go through the tedious process of creating a generic In-Place model that looks like ladder tray, then apply the white material to that.

ricaun
Advisor

Hello

I created a free plugin ConduitMaterial to apply the material on conduits by type!

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=9120027511121592515&os=Win64&appLang=en

ricaun_0-1615984217191.gif

Have fun!

ricaun
Advisor

Hello

I created a free plugin ConduitMaterial to apply the material on conduits by type!

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=9120027511121592515&os=Win64&appLang=en

Have fun!

Kermit84
Participant

Awesome! looks very promising.
I will try to test as soon as possible.
Big thanks ricaun 🙂

_camuz_
Enthusiast

A good solution, for what should be an "out of the box" option from Revit.

Still waiting for the ability to model flexible conduit, since it's the most used type of conduit in small projects, at least in Mexico.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good plugins. Thank you very much!

Unfortunately, if the detail level is fine the material does not work with cable trays.

pk_huyen
Explorer

Thanks @ricaun this plugin is exactly what I need. Perfect!

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have a problem about exporting conduit in different colors. I filtered conduit by COMMENT. now how can I export it? to have conduits in different colors in autocad?

zs.garai
Participant

Hi

now it´s Revit 2023. Still no Material for Kable Trays? We really needs them when we export IFC-s

_camuz_
Enthusiast

Autodesk simply stopped listening to their customers a long time ago. 

info
Observer

This is critical.  Material for fire fighting cable tray, IT cable tray, TeleCom cable tray are all different. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators